Anyone ever "lost" a fish???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaLisa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Has anyone ever "lost" a fish before? I have a 10g tank w/a bunch of Danios (zebra, leopard & blue), a school of Neon Tetras & 1 snail. I noticed yesterday that one of my blue Danios was missing. My tank is covered, nothing on the floor so I know he didn't jump out. I moved plants/decorations around, put my hand in & swished the water, but no sign of him! Is it possible he was eaten by something? Wouldn't I find remnants of him somewhere in the tank if this was the case? He's not in the gravel, not in the filter, not in the plants and not on my floor! Where the heck could he be?!

:?

I temporarily lost 3 out of 4 clown loaches one time when I made the mistake of putting a big conch shell in their tank. They spiralled their way in the shell and I had to rotate and shake the shell and drain the water out and viola they fell out. Poor guys were scared and stuck.

I have had the exact same thing happen to me.....most of the time when they die they change color and tend to blend in with the stuff around them. What I had to do was just take all the decorationsa out and clean the tank...and just about everytime they have been somewhere that I could see them but they just blended in and if you have ornaments with holes up in them they will tend to float up into those spaces. Thats the best thing I know to do. I got up to a dead fish this morning myself! Dont think that I am going to mess with mollys anymore....seem to die off too easy! :cry:

"Dont think that I am going to mess with mollys anymore....seem to die off too easy!"

Mollies do better in a brackish tank I think. I know three people who have had trouble keeping mollies alive in freshwater tanks, but everyone who keeps them in brackish seems to do well. Just an idea.

This probably isn't your case but I lost a neon tetra for about 2 days once. Turns out he was swimming around in my powerfilter. No idea to this day how he got in there, he's too big to go up the intake valve. He survived though!

I've actually had great luck with mollies. The only fish I've really ever "lost" could be found by splitting my Sorubim Lima open.

I always lose my fish. I think I'm going blind in my old age. They just disappear and I consider them MIA. Sometimes they turn up and they are fine, sometimes I find them dead, but other times I never find them again.

hi
we lost a yoyo a few months ago - just disappeared never to be seen again! we hoped he may have escaped & is now living happily in the thames river 5 mins away (just kidding) but know he must have died even if we never saw any thing of him again :(

Shawmutt, I think your skull thing in your tank is eating 'em when you're not looking.

I have never lost a fish.

I lose my mind on a regular basis tho ;)

snapcrackler said:
Shawmutt, I think your skull thing in your tank is eating 'em when you're not looking.

:lol: I bet that's true! That's one scary looking tank! (but in a good way Shawmutt!)

I've lost goldfish fry (I'm pretty sure what happened there...) but never any fish that were bigger than a snack.

My roommate in college had a tropical community tank and used to lose fish on a regular basis. I think it was a combination of neglecting to do regular water changes and the huge pleco she had cleaning up for her... after a while, it was the only fish she had left! :puppydogeyes:

That has hapeened to me three times the third time I figured it out. My fat cat was getting them through the little space between the hood and the filter.

I had a catfish live inside on of my decorations for 2 years. When i was moving to another house, it popped out of the log and was still alive. He is still in my tank for the 3rd year. :fadein:

*grumble* Lost a fish last nite.

Bought 2 wee lil yoyos. Put em both in the tank (and I KNOW they both were in there). 2 hours later, one is gone. Completely. Tore the tank, the filter apart looking for him. Searched around the tank, on the floor. Nope. No fishie. I cannot imagine where he got to! Its a QT tank. Those 2 were the only ones IN it; not like the other lil guy could have eaten him (if he died) that quickly; at least, if he ate the other, he'd LOOK like he ate a fish his size LOL which he doesn't. There is one small slit in the hood where the wires barely fit...even if he got thru that, he should have been on the floor!

I HATE mysteries.

I lost my pink convict cichlid this afternoon. I fed her and said Hi on my way to work and 5 hours later she's gone! If my eel doesn't eat tonight...I'll know where she went! 8O

My mollies are tuff as hell I have 5 adults, 2 adolesants and 8 fry right now. They have lived thru cycling and ever given birth is far less than ideal conditions. They definetly like a little salt in the tank. I only have about 1 TBS per 6 gallons though in a 28 gallon tank.

Found the fish I lost, the others ate most of it's head and ripped it's spine out
barf.gif
. I just hope it was dead before they started...cichlids are a bit different than cardinal tetras!

grimlock3000 said:
"Dont think that I am going to mess with mollys anymore....seem to die off too easy!"

Mollies do better in a brackish tank I think. I know three people who have had trouble keeping mollies alive in freshwater tanks, but everyone who keeps them in brackish seems to do well. Just an idea.

I'm actually cycling my brackish with mollies and some feeder fish - they are doing really well

Back
Top Bottom