Anyone familiar with Biohome Ultra filter media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradleyheathhays

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any opinion on the Biohome Ultra filter media? By this guy's description on youtube it supports a good balance of both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria so that it's really efficient at processing not only ammonia and nitrite, but also nitrates resulting in less water changes and less water changed during each change. He says because of it's extremely high porosity it's the best filter media there is.

In this video it's the third one he talks about. He sells it on ebay out of England...

BEST FILTER MEDIA FOR AQUARIUM FILTERS - TYNE VALLEY AQUATICS - YouTube

Whatta ya'll think?

EDIT: After looking it up on ebay it looks like it's being made in a smaller size now comparable to the first two.

I'd like to know also from someone who is using it or has in the past.

I was seriously considering getting some as bio filter media when I entered the hobby and started my fishless cycle, but the wait from having to get it shipped from England gave way to just getting some Seachem Matrix from my LFS, which is similar in terms of the way it relies on porosity for all the culture growths.

The bio home I understand takes many months to a year before the anaerobic bacteria develop to such numbers that it has a positive effect on nitrates. I've found even my small modest number of plants already do this anyway. Combined with not overfeeding I rarely see my nitrate test even hit 10ppm. I'd say plants are more effective in the shorter and overall term.

However if you don't have plants in your tank I'd like to know how effective biohome really is against nitrates. I don't even consider ammonia and nitrites, every ceramic or porous style filter media should be able to process these easily, biohome or not.

Back
Top Bottom