anyone had this happen?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justrelax

Aquarium Advice FINatic
()&*#$!!!! i woke up this morning to find black specs ALL OVER the 55. seriously confused, right? i mean we're talking everthing is covered. well, the carbon bag in the xp2 ripped open and had been leaking out the output all night long. major bummer :( can this hurt anything? i called into work late so i could clean up. they already think i'm nuts and now this! crap.

Lol, I don't think the carbon will pose any threat unless your fish decide to eat it. Rest assured. And you aren't nuts! Tell them you know plenty of people who are just as crazy, if not more than you. ;)

remove what you can, but for the most part its just going to slowly break down into nitrate and phosphate. no serious health risk to the fish.

also, I don't consider carbon a necessary filter media. its great for removing tannins from new driftwood discoloring your water, and for stripping medications out after a treatment.

but a healthy FW aquarium shouldn't need carbon on a regular basis.

Yuck! What a mess. I once spilled activated carbon in a fridge I was cleaning out - what a pain to clean up.

Water changes and gravel vacs will eventually get the carbon out. It's totally inert and harmless. If your fish eat it (not even likely because it has no taste or odor), they will just pass it without harm.

I agree with Malkore that carbon isn't necessary unless you're removing tannins or meds. I wouldn't bother replacing it - JMHO.

i hear you guys on the "not necessary". i don't normally use it, but when i hooked the xp2 up it came with it and i had recently medicated for fin regrowth so i figured "what the heck"... i will be filling that part of the media basket up with more bio-media this afternoon. good to know it's not that big of a deal. thanx

Back
Top Bottom