Anyone have 2 pairs of cichlid rams in the same tank?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a gorgeous pair of golden rams and 13 cardinal tetras, all doing very well in a heavily planted tank with lots of driftwood from end to end.

pic included

I am not even close to max stock so that is not a concern, I am worried about aggression issues if I add another breeding pair of rams to the tank. I would love a pair of german blue rams.

Do you guys think this can be done without causing havoc in my peaceful tank? Should I avoid another pair of rams? If I get another pair what is the likelihood that they will attack each other?

If its going to be a risky situation I will probably avoid it. I don't want nothing bad happening to my pets. I would like to hear from you guys who have experience with this and what the outcome was.

What about an angel or gourami?? Rams can get mighty fiesty.. I'd hate to see anyone get beat up over night..

i am not a fan of angels, just too big and floaty for me. I haven't really considered the gourami that much. Would they be better choice?!

I think I read something about having 1 male gourami with 2-3 females, is this right? or just a pair is good?

I also thought I read that these guys can be aggressive too.

I would steer clear of angels since you have cardinal tetras. It might be a tasty snack if you added one of those. I would think about the gourami, but as a single- not as a pair or trio. It seems like there could be a lot of aggression and tension with more than one breeding pair. IMO.

i will have to do more reading on the gourami. i do think they look pretty cool too.

Yah the dwarfs are cool, blue and red ones.. I think they hang up top too, be nice to cover all levels.. Rams love the bottom.. Cards stay mid usually, killies up top would be cool too!

i like the look of the honey gourami

i think i might look for a pair of those. i did read that 1 male with multiple females are good. maybe i will go that route

I've tried repeatedly to have multiple Ram pairs in the same tank. It only seems to work out if you add all the rams at the same time while they're young. Since you already have had your current pair for a week, I'd say you're at the point where adding additional pairs would just cause the two pairs to kill each other. You could try rearranging all the decor first to break up the established territory, but even when I did that myself, adding new pairs ended up in dead fish.

I have a pair of GBR's in my 55 gal planted tank which also includes 8 caves and so forth.. I tried adding another pair and had to pull them out as everyone was Sooo very stressed and there was constant aggression. I ended up adding two dwarf gourami and I'm pretty happy with my choice.

I guess I am the only one that had success with two pairs in a tank. I had GBRS and Kribs in a heavily planted 55 with 7 caves(2 on the left , 3 in the middle, 2 on the right). I also had a female opal gourami and a school of dwarf rainbows and never had an issue with them. Only thing that happened was my gourami tried to get a snack and daddy chased her off. She tried with the GBRS and Kribs.

Back
Top Bottom