Anyone have a False SAE?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EdmundDantes

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. Newbie here.

I've got a 29 gal with 6 Praecox Rainbows, 6 Zebra Danios and a "False Siamese Algae Eater". I also have Anubias, Java ferns, Olive Nerite Snails and a large Bio-wheel.

I started keeping fish a couple of years ago. Shortly thereafter I began having problems with algae (due mainly to direct sunlight entering the tank). I went to my LFS to purchase some algae eaters and was sold what they called "Siamese Flying Foxes". They told me to keep them in small schools so I bought 3. They were juvies, but it didn't take long until my tank resembled the Middle East. I talked to the people at the fish store and they were of no help so I decided to do some internet research. I found out that not even the genus has been determined for these fish. Some say they are Epalzeorhynchos while others say they are Garra something or other. My unscientific opinion is that they are the former. I found another LFS who took two of the three in trade so my tank is finally peaceful.

Anyway, the False SAE is a trip. It reminds me of a dog when bounces on it's fins while looking at me. It'll then swim in a circle and look at me again. They also show nice coloration in the fins. One of them somehow managed to swim up the Bio-wheel into the filter unit. How he fit in the Bio-wheel without being scraped off is a mystery to me. As for eating algae, I don't know. I don't have any, but that may be the snails or something else. They are one of the most entertaining fish I've ever seen, though, and wish they would receive a less derogtory name than "False SAE". They're very hardy too. They endured a move that killed two of my Zebras.

Does anyone else have this fish or know anything about it?

Thanks. I've really enjoyed reading everyone's posts.

If you posted a pic of a fish, I can't see it.

I have a "false SAE". It looks like a Flying Fox and Siamese Algae Eater and it's my understanding that there is a great deal of confusion on the classification so I was seeing if anyone else had one and what they thought of it.

Back
Top Bottom