anyone have an archer fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was watching National Geographic's "Built for the Kill", and the were doing rivers ...

there was fish called the Archer Fish that got it's food by spitting at flies and bugs sitting on branches above the water

I guess it would be irresponible to keep these in an aquarium if they're not already being bred for the trade ... but it just looked cool

a bunch would gather under a branch and take turns spitting at the bugs until they fell into the water

hehe I love those things! That spitting is cool to watch. The problem with having them is two-fold. One is that they are considered brackish water fish, so keeping a brackish tank may be a challnge to some freshwater people because it limits the number of fish and plant you can grow. The other issue is that to really see their uniqness you would have to build, or have a design where you can place bugs on a branch on top of the water. Just lower the water a bit and get a long piece of drift wood, growing plant, or fake plant, place a bug and watch the fun. But like I said it would limit a lot of options...

Back
Top Bottom