Anyone have Experience with Angelicus Botia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looks like mine
(click on pic for larger image)

the larger ones in the pic are about 2.5", I have 4 smaller ones, largest is no more than 2"

HTH

mine are from 1'' to maybe no more than 1 1/2 as u see a small oto in the pic too. what do you think about these guys and what is your experience with thim?

The correct name for those fish is Botia kubotai and since they haven't been available for more than a few years there is less known about them than about some of the other similar but more common loaches like the Yo-Yo Loach (Botia almorhae). I've had a couple of these for nearly two years now and I've found their behavior and requirements to be much like the Yo-Yo Loach...they can get territorial with their own kind (and similar species - my B. kubotai and B. almorhae squabbled like cats and dogs). They like aquaria with clean water, good hiding places and will eat practically any aquarium fare though they really appreciate frozen (thawed first, of course) bloodworms. They are also excellent killers of snails.

-Joe

Yup, they're kubotai. Angelicus is just a synonym, I guess it must be in common usage or something since I see it so often. Fruitbat is right: this species was only identified in 2004 so we know little about it.

From my own experiences I've found them to be far more playful than other loaches I've kept, and far more inquisitive too. I think this might explain some of the filter-related/jumping problems people have had with them. They are very social, like most botia, so the usual "a trio is best" advice should be applied.

I've not experienced aggression with them at all, particularly in comparison to almorhae (yoyo) which I've found to be among the more aggressive of botia: kubotai are more playful than anything else, and it could well be that what you imagine is aggression is actually just them being a bit too active for the other fish's liking!

One 'trait' I've identified with them so far is their 'dance': they will twirl and intertwine and spiral all over the tank sometimes, right through the mid to top levels of the water column. It's definitely not fighting, I don't really know what it is (I'm fairly certain it's not breeding either). They just do this periodically, and it's a real sight to see :)

Possibly one of my favourite loaches.

Here's mine. He loves his cave most of the day, but becomes social in the evening and comes out and plays with the barbs. He prefers crushed freeze dried brine shrimp or krill, but will eat flakes. He won't touch the veggies.

When I bought him he was labeled angelicus botia, so that is how I list him in my info, but I always read the debate on here about the name.

DSC00041.jpg

mine are very shy when it comes to people. The only time they come out is when we are sitting on the couch watching TV. If we are up and moving around, or looking into their tank (especially), they hide.

Otherwise, they are quite active, and I have seen them demolish a few MTS already. There patterns will change over time, and they will become more spotted than striped (from the pictures that I have seen), and I think that is the biggest difference between the kubotai and the rostrata.

I did not know that they were only identified in 2004, that is news to me. Though that would explain the price tag on them ($19.99 each at my lfs, though they recently dropped the price to $9.99. That's when I bought them lol)

Here's some (not very good) pics of my adult kubotai. You can see, as hsherman says, how the markings develop over time with larger amounts of black. If your loach retains just the twin bands then it's more likely to be rostrata (juvie kubotai look remarkably like rostrata, see another thread for pics I posted about that!).

215971235_f47c0f1219_o.jpg

264163628_921db2e9de_o.jpg

358462013_37988bcdd9_o.jpg

I paid 9.99 for each and I have a yoyo that is about 3-4'' big im looking to get 2 more yoyos for him to be with.

Back
Top Bottom