Anyone here know anything about Orange Von Rio Flame Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mandy2936

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello,

I was at the pet store the other day when I saw some Orange Von Rio Flame Tetras. I thought they were extremely nice looking and so right away I knew i wanted to add some to my tank. According to AqAdvisor, adding a few stocks my tank 100%, which is perfect for me:

6 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)
4 x Julii Cory (Corydoras julii)
3 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)
5 x Flame Tetra (Hyphessobrycon flammeus)
3 x Otocinclus vestitus (Otocinclus vestitus)

Recommended water change schedule: 30% per week.
Your aquarium stocking level is 100%.

Anyway, I've been trying to research some info on them but I just can't find anything on the internet about them. All that I've scrounged up was one website that basically told me they grow 1.5-2.0 inches and they breed easily.

-Problem!
I would not at all like breeding to take place in my tank. So, I was thinking of getting all females, but would the Guppies try to mate with them? Then I thought of all males. Would that be a problem?

Please help!!!

Thank you! :D

Ask Severum Mama & HN1 about them. They sell them, and will probably give you more info than you'll want!!

Guppies and tetras won't try to breed together. Von Rios are pretty peaceful fish. You shouldn't have any trouble with that group.

Guppies and tetras won't try to breed together.
Ok, just wondering because I've heard that male Guppies will try to breed with any female around their size that swims.

Von Rios are pretty peaceful fish. You shouldn't have any trouble with that group.
''that group'' as in all males or just Von Rios in general?
Thanks for the help so far! I appreciate it!

P.S. Von Rios are schooling fish yet I saw a video on YouTube of them scattered around the tank chasing eachother... Not schooling behavior and I guess the chasing was breeding.

Ok, just wondering because I've heard that male Guppies will try to breed with any female around their size that swims.

The guppies may try, but no fry will be produced. Tetras are egg layers.

''that group'' as in all males or just Von Rios in general?
Thanks for the help so far! I appreciate it!

P.S. Von Rios are schooling fish yet I saw a video on YouTube of them scattered around the tank chasing eachother... Not schooling behavior and I guess the chasing was breeding.

Just Von Rios in general. Tetras usually aren't prolific breeders. Schooling fish aren't always grouped together in a tight school. I have Espei rasboras, Hengel's rasboras, five band barbs, and praecox rainbows. They're all schooling fish, but they'll spread out around the tank and chase each other sometimes. Other times, they form up in a tight school. Social interaction and security are the reasons to keep schooling fish in a group.

I like them, peaceful little buggers with great colors, however bright lights seem to wash them out. Mine dont breed, unsure on sexing them.

The guppies may try, but no fry will be produced. Tetras are egg layers.
Ok. I hope the Guppies don't try. This behavior is quite annoying to watch.

Just Von Rios in general. Tetras usually aren't prolific breeders. Schooling fish aren't always grouped together in a tight school. I have Espei rasboras, Hengel's rasboras, five band barbs, and praecox rainbows. They're all schooling fish, but they'll spread out around the tank and chase each other sometimes. Other times, they form up in a tight school. Social interaction and security are the reasons to keep schooling fish in a group.
Yeah. If the Von Rios are peaceful, why would they be chasing each other? That seems unusual for Tetras. My guess is that if I get all one gender they would not do that because they wouldn't breed. It just might be hard to distinguish the gender... anyone know how?

Thanks.

EDIT:
I like them, peaceful little buggers with great colors, however bright lights seem to wash them out. Mine dont breed, unsure on sexing them.
Great to know that yours are peaceful. Perhaps if I don't go through any special arrangements to get them to breed, they won't. I am just concerned because on one of the only website found on Google about them it says that they are very easy to breed. I will probably just get mixed genders, though I would rather be able to distinguish they're gender to be safe. Again, anyone know of how to do this?

Thanks so much!!

Last edited:
Mandy,

Tetras are non-territorial egg scatterers. They don't care for their eggs after laying them. This means that they are likely to eat their own eggs in an aquarium!

Unlike cichlids, plecos, and other fish, Tetras don't stake out a territory. So they don't have a special place to scatter and guard their eggs - they just let 'em fly :lol: and forget about them.

This means that in a small community tank, breeding them isn't very likely. There are too many factors that make breeding difficult.

That said, if they do breed, it is unlikely any fry would survive.

Onto another point :) Von Rios are quite attractive fish, I liked having them for the short while I did. They are spunkier than neons - these are a run-and-play type of tetra! This is tetra behavior - tetras do have behavioral differences between them. Lemon tetras even have a dominance ritual known as "jousting". Also, the chasing does not indicate mating.

Hope this helps! I think if you got the Von Rios, you'd like them :)

I got 10 from HN1 and severum and I love them. In a nice lush green planted tank they really stand out. WhiteDevil is right about the washing out under bright lights. I notice now that I have some floating stems their colors are starting to 'pop' more.

They are peaceful and non-aggressive towards other tank mates. Not sure on sexing them, I think it has something to do with their fins. I tried to sex mine a while ago and I gave up.

They do chase one another around the tank but no harm is done. They are quite interesting to watch. They are doing fine in my 30g long with a big angel and some neons.

Thanks guys for the info!
I think I am set on getting them. I plan to get five.

Not sure if I have bright lights... they are some standard incandescent lights that came with my 20g starter kit.

Thanks again!

P.S- Meegosh: I noticed your signature and voted for AA. What does the "In" and "Out" mean? It says we are 33 up, in 3, and out 6.

We've bred von rio tetras, but with as many egg eaters as you have in the tank it would be virtually impossible for any eggs to even make it to fry stage. We had a group in a 10 gallon holding tank that we sold to a club member. A few days after we pulled the tetras out of that tank, we noticed fry. The fry hatched out in stages, and we ended up with about a dozen baby tetras that we raised to a size where we could get Breeder Appreciation Program points with our local club. They're quick growers and it only took a couple of months to raise them to 1/2-3/4 inch. As taylorodw mentioned, tetras will eat their own eggs so the likelihood of finding any tetra fry in your tank is slim to none.

P.S- Meegosh: I noticed your signature and voted for AA. What does the "In" and "Out" mean? It says we are 33 up, in 3, and out 6.

It is an old link I should probably delete. In is the number of votes AA has received (ie, people clicked my link and voted). Out is the number of people who have clicked AA's link on AquaRank.

Severum Mama, thanks for the info. I'm sure then that getting them will not overpopulate my tank. Aw, if i had the time, space, money, [and permission from my parents] I would sooo set up another tank to raise fry in!!! That would be so cute! But for now, I'm glad the other fish will keep the population under control. P.S- Sorry of this sounds stupid, but should I feed the fish less if they are going to be scoffing down eggs regularly?

And Meegosh:
Oh, ok. Thanks :)

Hey, I still have the voting link! I don't vote every day any more, but I do vote :lol:

Edit: No mandy, you needn't worry about the eggs at all. It is unlikely they'll lay them in the first place :)

Back
Top Bottom