Anyone interested in discussing Rainbow fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judymayes

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello am wanting to talk with paople who are interested in keeping and raising Rainbow fish
Judy:)

~ Life Is Too Short, Break The Rules, Forgive Quickly, Kiss Slowly, Love Truly, Laugh Uncontrollably And Never Regret Anything that Made You Smile.
Life May Not Be The Party We Hoped For, But While We're Here, We Should Dance. ~

discussing Rainbow fish

well we can start with how long have you had your Rainbow fish I just got mine but thre not Australian Rainbow and i got some Turquoise also mine are babies pretty small i will set them up for breeing once they grow and i also am getting interested in Killifish which recently found out the are related to Rainbows
Judy

Interesting thread.....I've never kept rainbows, as I haven't had a big enough tank, but they really appeal to me. I especially like the boesmani rainbows. They are definitely on my "one day I'll own" list!

I've had them for about 5 months,.or somewhere there abouts. There about 3/4 grown I'd say, and there in a 20 gal tall, but I'll have a 45 ready for buy next weekend.

rainbow discussion

cool I think thats nice that you are getting a new tank so you will be able to get more room for you fish and the Neon Dwarfs get about half the size and they are very pretty fish and I am getting reald to get the Red Rainbow fish they are nice too .Glad to see some people wanting to share their stories of the fish with me.
Hope to hear more soon :fish1:

Judy

I love Rainbowfish. I have 125 gallons worth. The oldest one is pretty close to 2.5 years old. I like the colors, and they get to be a decent size and are very hardy. It's difficult to kill them. Like with most fish, if you have clean water and low nitrates, they'll live long. Rainbows are said to live 5-8 years, but I have yet to have one live that long. 3 years is the oldest I've had one live. They are very easy to keep and you get color too. I have found that the different subsets within Rainbowfish all school together. Right now the little ones seem to hang out together while the large fish get some adult time.

I have schools of
Turquoise
Bosemani
Irian Red
Australian
New Guinea
And a misc banded rainbow.

I find my fish to have decent personalities and will always meet you at the tank. When you enter the room they swim over to where you are. With 15, not much food gets wasted. They are active spawners and surprising creative at it. I've had one jump out of the tank while in the process.

Here's a free book. It will tell you everything you need to know about Rainbowfish. It also contains the most complete catalog of known rainbowfish

Home of the Rainbowfish Contents

I'm going to throw an odd one in here. I keep Threadfins Rainbows and I love them. Perfect for smaller tanks but I keep mine in a 220g heavily planted tank and they spawn quite regularly. Am seriously considering adding another 12. People only want males which is a disjustice since females actually color up with age. They turn the same yellowish neon green irridescense as the males. Plus keeping females increases the males displaying even more. I've considered keeping full size rainbows because I love the Irain Reds and the Orange Albino Millenium's.

I have three in my set up with assorted tetras. They are very hardy and lively fish. They are a month shy of being four years old. They even survived when our house was destroyed by a flood. No electric or food for over two weeks. I think they might out live me!

I am considering having forktail rainbow fish as my main schooling fish in my 55 that i currently have a build thread for i heard the name looked it up i fell in love with them right away lol

I have 4 Bosemani, 3 Austrailian and 4 Threadfins. Threadfins are by far my favorite.

Definitely want to follow this thread.

Mine are getting frisky atm

Attachments

• image-763206549.jpg
    image-763206549.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 120
I would like to add to the Rainbow support group!

Hi, my name is sp0ng3r..... and I am a Rainbowholic. I have been using for ten years...

I have kept rainbows for a while now, and love them.

My best rainbow was a Boesmani Rainbow that I kept in a 55gal, and he lived through three moves across California. He did eventually die, but it was due to old age. He was a real fighter, and we were quite sad when he finally passed. I had him for 5 years. Great fish that put up with a lot. Several ICH treatments.

I have kept Iranian, threadfin, blue, boesmani, and Pseudomugil furcatus. I loved all of them.

Currently I have 1 - Boesemani Rainbow, 1 - Madagascar Rainbow, 1 - Australian Rainbow, 1 - Turquoise Rainbow. my experiment is to see if they school. So far, they are all schooling except for the Madagascar. I plan to add an Iranian to the group as well (when I can find one). I am not too interested in spawning these, and as I have a 135gal, they have plenty of room. We will see how it goes!

Great Topic.

Wonderful to hear about your threadfins I plan on getting some and love the Aquarium photos just "BEAUTIFUL" and would love to see more photos of your tanks anytime
Judy

wow sounds like a lovely tank I am glad you here thanks for coming and sharing with all of us ,It sounds like the one that passed away of old age was a trooper would have been proud to have owned him too
Judy

My Iranians are the most colorful fish i have. the silver middle scales and the deep red on the outside sets them apart. my aussie is just statring to get his reddish tail and black lines. i feed my frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms and the they get spirulina flake and blood worm flake, they are all pigs

I have five Aussies, three bosemani, and a celebres that slipped in somehow. The last is lovely.

My grandfather loves his turquoise rainbows as well. They have such personality .

I did lose an Aussie who jumped out of the tank over night

Back
Top Bottom