anyone know of some good top feeders for a 92 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have a 92 gallon corner aquarium with 5 peppered cory cats, a pleco (about 6-7"), and 2 german blue rams. we set this tank up fairly recently and we're about to add more fish again.

we realized that we need some top feeders because practically all of our fish are bottom dwellers. we got some cardinal tetras in QT (2 have died already, not a good sign!) but i'm kind of wanting something that will grow kind of big (big as in 6-8 inches, not 2 feet lol). another thing is i'm trying to keep a south american/amazon environment, so that limits my options for fish even further.

any ideas?

I have a school of 9 giant danios in my 75 gallon and they are fantastically fun to watch when they attack any floating food offered to them. They stay at the top in a tight school mostly because they don't want to get eaten by my oscar.

The first day I got them, 2 of them were eaten by the oscar, but none have been caught in over 9 months since then.

If it were my tank, I'd get a huge school of hatchet fish, but they are even more sensitive than the cardinals, but I'd sure love to see a school of 20+ hatchets. . . .

Rainbow fish would probably work. They are pretty adaptable as far as water conditions, colorful and active top-mid-water feeders.

YuccaPatrol said:
If it were my tank, I'd get a huge school of hatchet fish, but they are even more sensitive than the cardinals, but I'd sure love to see a school of 20+ hatchets. . . .

Yeah, Hatchets are awsome to see just chilling at the top of your tank. I'm partial to colorfull fish though so I've never taken any.

You could get marble hatchets. They are more colorful than the plain silver hatchets. IMO a larger school of them would be amazing to see!

i was considering hatchets, we've had them before a long time ago, but the problem was that they jumped way too much (my dad would be late to work and trying to find a fish that jumped onto the floor LOL

i was thinking hatchet fish if i could find a good way to prevent them from jumping out of the tank

As much as I love my two remaining hatchets here are the problems I have with them:
- Marbles are FINICKY. They are hard to find, and when you do.. they are expensive.. then you look at them wrong and they die. (hehe)
- I think a large school (10-15+) would look AMAZING in a very tall tank. I have a 75gal and the problem I had was to look at the hatchets I had to kinda squat down and tilt my head and contort ever which way, because the top of my tank was kinda low and I never got to see my hatchets.

Out of all the hatchets Ive purchased over the past year and a half (*counts* 10 or more) I only have two silvers left.

Just my two cents.

Now, there are butterfly fish but they can be VERY aggressive towards other top dwellers- but its something you could always look into/research

I have 6 silver hatchets and fortunately haven't had the problems lyquidphyre has had. Knock wood. LOL. As far as keeping them in the tank, a full glass cover should work. If you need to add anything to the back of the glass to keep them out, there are plastic additions that slip onto the glass to make up the difference between the glass and the tank edge.

Zagz said:
I have 6 silver hatchets and fortunately haven't had the problems lyquidphyre has had. Knock wood. LOL. As far as keeping them in the tank, a full glass cover should work. If you need to add anything to the back of the glass to keep them out, there are plastic additions that slip onto the glass to make up the difference between the glass and the tank edge.

With them dying, it was more directed towards the marbles. I have 2 out of 3 of my silvers left... but I hardly ever see them! hehe

I wonder what makes the marbles more sensitive? Your silvers hide? Mine just hang out at the top, never seem interested in hiding.

What about some Angels? They would fit to the SA tank and get along with all the fish you have. If you were to get some make sure you get them small so that they grow up with the Cardinals and don't see them as lunch. Remember to if you buy like 6 of them you're probably going to get a pair that will be aggressive so watch out!
Hope This Helps

Tiger Barbs are nice top feeders, they go nuts whewn ya tap on the lid and start sprinkling food in, there like little pirahnas or something, soemtimes they make little splashes where they jump out so quick for food, they'll eat till they pop though lol

I've got 10 silver hatchets and they're just the greatest!! I'm glad that my tank is close to my computer because I kinda have the same problem as lyquidphyre (tank being a bit low to the ground). So far no casualties so I'm pretty happy :)

Now, there are butterfly fish but they can be VERY aggressive towards other top dwellers- but its something you could always look into/research

i know its not south american...but a pair of african butterfly fish would cool. You could probably put like 4 females. They aren't too active during the day, but at night mine will swim around the top like mad. I have only seen him go after my gourami once and it wasn't in a very agressive attack. They are fun to feed. Mine will jump into my cup i pour my blood worms out from and even before it touches the surface he will jump up and nip at it. I like them alot

Back
Top Bottom