anyone knowledgeable on undergravel filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh "all i have to do"

I mean its not really that simple IMO

It would mean removing all aquarium objects
Disrupting gravel AND POO/CRAP IN THE SUBSTRATE
Changing water A LOT OF IT
and REMOVING MY FISH INCLUDING TWO LOBSTERS
I mean i know im kinda being a jerk hut seriously this would be MAJOR
I know it's not you want to hear but I agree. Chill out, people are just trying to help!!!

Under Gravel Filters

Is yours run by Air or a power head ? If air try running with power head! Are you using it alone or with another filter?

And u don't have to take out your fish. I'm changin subtrate fish in.

The key question there is how long has the tank been established? If the UGF has all the build-up and nitrates trapped that everyone is claiming, then just ripping out the UGF and releasing that into the water could indeed cause some issues.

@ the OP,

I will agree that UGFs filters don't work well in a heavily stocked, heavily planted or over stocked system. However, they do work and they work well if they are set-up properly and properly maintained. I've been running them for over 20 years in multiple tanks ranging from 10 gallons to 100 gallons mainly stocked with African cichlids and I have zero issues with toxin build-up or out of wack water parameters.

Proper set-up requires the use of powerheads rather than air, and multiple powerheads on the larger systems.

Proper maintanence requires that you gravel vac on a regular bases (I recommend weekly with your regular PWC).

In my personal experience, I've found UGF to be less expensive, less messy, definitely less disgusting than a canister filter, and overall easier to maintain than any of the many different brands and types of HOB and canister filters I have tried over the years (and yes I have tried lots of different brands). And I have found them to be just as efficient at maintaining water quality as any of the new filtering systems.

Do they have their disadvantages - absolutely. Are they without flaw - absolutely not. Do they work - yes. Will they work in this particular case - probably not.

IMO they are a waste of money, you should really just get an Aqua Clear filter or two.
Undergravel filters are cheap for a reason.

I've never personally run them but I love my aqua clear :) its easy to maintaine and customize to whatever media I want to put in it. Plus even with my awfull hood setup I was able to place it easilly into my aquarium :) I paid 50$ for my aquaclear 70 off amazon

I would NEVER run an undergravel with my goldfish though. Its not good with goldfish since they poop ALOT.

I have never had an Aquarium without an udergravel filter.the tank I have now has been set up for over three years and I have NOT lost one fish.I also have a 20 gallon with just shrimp and plants and i started with 10 shrimp and now there are about 100 or more.With both tanks I have to harvest the plants weekly as they almost double their size in a week and I have never used any kid of plant food.Just because their old school doesn't mean they don't work.Without and ug filter how would nutrients get to the roots of the plants?Also call it luck or whatever in the 40 years i've had my own Aquariums I've NEVER used any type of test kit or tested my water.I have raised 100 times sas many fish as I've bought and also have more than 100 ribbons from my fish and my set ups.Everything doesn't have to have cutting edge tech. to thrive,survive or live.

Me again. I would continue to perform regular maintenance and testing and run an HOB as well.

IF things start to get unmanageable then at least you would have a secondary filter to go to during the transition.

Back
Top Bottom