anyone knowledgeable on undergravel filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BLUElobster99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So heres my setup

30 gallons

5 checkered barbs
2 balloon mollies
1 zebra danio
1 pleco
1 jukidochromis
2 crayfish

So realize this is a heavy ioload

Can the old school undergavel handle that?
Im doing 25% water changes weekly
Could i possibly add a couple more danios

Aslo should i purchase a syphon to clean the gavel with every water change ?

Ok first of all UG filters work
And im aware that there are nore effective systems out there

Second off all i asked for someone with personel experience and knowledge ob the filter

Last edited by a moderator:
U-gravel filters are all we had back in the 60's before the invention of HOB's. They will work. Most work well with two upflow pipes, one at each back corner. Make sure the gravel is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep and doesn't get any thin spots over the tray as this will cause a short circuit in the current that pulls waste and oxygen to the BB under the tray. They fell out of favor because after about a year the mulm gets solid enough to cap off the flow requiring a total break down and cleaning. OS.

Ok first of all UG filters work
And im aware that there are nore effective systems out there

Second off all i asked for someone with personel experience and knowledge ob the filter

I've had an undergravel filter, and I've taken care of my teachers tank with an undergravel filter.

I'm assuming that you'd be using a power head instead of air to move the water. With the bio load you have this might be pushing it (probably with any filter). As long as you keep up with maintenance and keep an eye on your parameters you could probably make this work for you. Yes get a gravel vacuum. If I recall, you'd be vacuuming only a section of the gravel with each water change. And keep up with the vacuuming to prevent dead spots and channeling.

One problem you might get down the road is the detritus that accumulates UNDER the filter plates. If you have the type of stand that allows you to see the bottom of the tank from underneath, then you could try taking a stainless steel washer (you could coat it with a fish safe water proof substance if you want), drop in down the riser tube, and take an algae magnet and use the magnet to move the washer around which should dislodge the stuff under the plates.

If you don't have access to the bottom of the tank then i am not sure how you'd clear that stuff (yes, this may cause a nitrate spike).

I am guessing no plants rooted in the gravel because of the crawdads. Good luck. Sounds like it might be a lot of work to keep it going.

When I was a kid my dad bought me my first tank back in the 90's and it had an undergravel filter, so I have experience with them. I didn't understand how it worked then, but I thought it was needed. He tried to explain to me about the nitrogen cycle and I pretended like I understood or even cared, but I just wanted to get some fish.

I'd choose a sponge filter for supplemental filtration over a UG 6 ways to Sunday. Sponge filters are awesome inventions. UG's are not. A sponge filter accomplishes with finesse what a UG was meant to do. Why anyone would want a plate that traps detritus underneath it in their tank is beyond me.

The science behind UGFs is solid but its been my experience that UGFs and heavy bioload tanks do not work (even when used in conjunction with hefty HOB filters). Additionally, I do not think your crays will appreciate the force of water being pulled through the plates 24/7. Opt for something more practical for the creatures your housing and easier to clean and maintain.

I've also used undergravel filters. Even in a two gallon tank with only a few shrimp, they don't work.

All you'll have to do is take the UG filter out and put a HOB filter on. Your most likely going to go through a mini cycle though, so be careful.

I would actually run the HOB for a while to build up the BB in it before breaking down the other system.

Under gravel filters

I don't know if I co sider myself qualified to answer this or not! Let me start by asking if you have live plants? These have worked well with power heads! I have a UGF in my 55 gal tank, but I also have a HOB filter! No problem. If tots has two plates like mine there are two extra caps towards the middle ! When you vac gravel open the extra caps and put you gravel cleaner over the holes and suck out that nasty stuff! My live plants seem to thrive over the gravel platesIn a nutshell I'm pleased with the UGF

All you'll have to do is take the UG filter out and put a HOB filter on. Your most likely going to go through a mini cycle though, so be careful.

Oh "all i have to do"

I mean its not really that simple IMO

It would mean removing all aquarium objects
Disrupting gravel AND POO/CRAP IN THE SUBSTRATE
Changing water A LOT OF IT
and REMOVING MY FISH INCLUDING TWO LOBSTERS
I mean i know im kinda being a jerk hut seriously this would be MAJOR

Oh "all i have to do"

I mean its not really that simple IMO

It would mean removing all aquarium objects
Disrupting gravel AND POO/CRAP IN THE SUBSTRATE
Changing water A LOT OF IT
and REMOVING MY FISH INCLUDING TWO LOBSTERS
I mean i know im kinda being a jerk hut seriously this would be MAJOR

I'm changing my aquarium substrate, and I've seen people do it in 2-3 hours. Of course to get rid of mine I just reached down got under the gravel and pulled out the plate.

Back
Top Bottom