Anyone tried Microbe-Lift for cycling tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carpus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at the LFS, looking for some Seachem Stability, and the girl behind the counter said they didn't have Stability, carry Cycle but didn't really like it, and finally handed me some Microbe-Lift Special Blend, their "preferred bacteria solution". I had never heard of it but decided to give it a try. Apparently they make a range of products, none of which I know.

Has anyone had any experience with their bacteria products??
I will report my experiences afterwards, but I have little to compare it to.
I am bringing a 35 gallon tank online, and this is the first one I have had to use NH3 with, and pay any attention to the NO2 and NO3 levels. In the past my small tanks have easily achieved bacteria-balance with some media, plants, and substrate from established tanks, and some Seachem Stability. My "cycle" was like two days.

My cycle was about a week with the Nutrafin Cycle on a 37 gal tank, but just about everyone here will tell you to do it the old fashion way by getting a full test kit, an ammonia source, and no fish. WHat I mean is I have had an excellent experience with cycle

ive used tetra/marineland safestart, from what i hear its the best, it actually contains the nitrosomas, etc., it used to be called biospira but it had to be refridgerated so they changed the formula into safestart, i wasnt expecting it to be very good considering the price and brand, but i researched so reviews and it seemed it was high quality and the best cycler, however i just know it works well, not if its better or wrose than whatevery you/others use

I was at my LFS last night and they actually recommended "Microbe-Lift Special Blend" to me as well. THey also recommended "Microbe-Lift Nite Out II" They swear by them and say they are the only products they use to set cycle new tanks in the store.

They actually compared it to Bio-Spira and Tetra SafeStart.

I believe "bacterial additives" have come a long way in the past few years and it seem like most people on here are going by hear-say versus experience. The only reason I was against using the bacterial additives in the beginning was because everyone says they don't work. End of story. The guy at my LFS kinda chuckled when I said I was doing the fishless cycle with ammonia. And he didn't blame me. For some reason all of the original bacteria products sucked and it has created a stigma and everyone is against using them. I'd rather find out for myself. :cool:

For the record: "Microbe-Lift Nite Out II" contains: Nitrosomonas, Nitrospira and Nitrobactor.

Microbe-lift is a great company and their products are no joke, they all work great.

their gravel/substrate cleaner works awesome too, I wont use it again but when i was a planted tank newb I did and wiped out all my plants.

I have used both the special-blend and the Nite-Out II in my tanks. My one thing against Nite-Out is that it is supposed to be refrigerated (I do keep it in my fridge) but the store where I got it from did not have it refrigerated. So for that reason I believe it is a hit or miss thing as with most of the other bacterial products. If the bottle you picked off the shelf had live bacteria in it, then you're in luck and if it didn't then you just bought some very expensive water.

That said, the products do seem to help a bit but IME it wasn't a dramatic effect (I still had to cycle my tank in 2-3 weeks and they claim the product will essentially cycle your tank which I feel is not true)

I have also used the gravel/substrate cleaner in a tank planted with swords, anubias and vals and didn't have a problem with my plants.

I just cycled my first tank using Microbe-Lift water conditioner, Nite-out II, and special blend as directed on the bottle. I cycled with fish and finished a 16gal tank in 18 - 19 days. I was really fighting with the Nitrites when my sample bottle of Nite-Out ran out.I bought a new bottle dosed at the filter and in 36 hours had 0ppm Nitrite. Maybe a coincidence, but if I do another tank I will use the product again. My bottle says its good for 18 months and should be stored in a cool dry place, refrigerated if possible, but my frig is often colder than the suggested temp range so mine is kept out.

I have used both the special-blend and the Nite-Out II in my tanks. My one thing against Nite-Out is that it is supposed to be refrigerated (I do keep it in my fridge) but the store where I got it from did not have it refrigerated.

This is quoted directly from the Microbe-Lift website.

NOTE: Shelf life is 18 months. DON'T FREEZE. Store at room temperature. Avoid sunlight. Refrigerate 38°F (4°C) - 45°F (7°C) after opening to prolong shelf life. Shake well before using.

http://www.microbelift.com/products/home-aquarium/bacterial-products/nite-out-ii/

Back
Top Bottom