Anyone use a moon light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Corey

I used 7 blue Led's (3" apart) with resistors, and a 12 volt power supply. If you can solder?It runs the full lenght of my 50g corner, and lights up the tank enough to watch. I run them 4 hours each night. The whole setup cost around $20.
AL

I've got a tank with white ones and a tank with blue/violet ones. I prefer the white. Looks more natural. I've only got 3 whites on my 70 corner and it's pretty bright. I wouldn't do more than 4...but that's just my opinion.

I have 9 5000mcd LED's across mine, I also added an additional 100ohm resistor to lower the light level, then pointed the strip up into the reflector.

100 LED's with resistors can be had for 11$ shipped off ebay. then it's just the cost of the transformer and something to mount them to..

Thanks guys!
The soldering idea is novel, but as I only have a 20gallon tank, one of the moon lights in the weblink would suffice, and that requires no modification - I think I'd just go with that.
Gorman, you wouldn't by any chance have pictures of the white and blue setups, would you? I do sleep in the same room as my fish, and I'm wondering if the white would be too bright.
Thanks again!

I have a pair on my 90g and 1 on my 29g. Rule of thumb is you should have one for every 24". It looks really nice at night. I would go with the white. It looks a lot more natural in a FW tank.

I purchased a night light from IKEA that has 24 little blue LED bulbs and I use this for my tank moonlighting. At night the fish diplay their nocturnal side, whether it be not moving much or activly seeking food. Plus it looks really cool and my GF likes the mood it sets.

I saw one unit that had two blue LED's mounted inside it and you could velcro or double sided tape it to your lid, it was only like 19 bucks, I think it would work great for my ten gallon, I would love to watch my fish at night lol

If you use a red light, its hardest for fish to see that color and would totally feel like theres no light. Ive used red, green and blue. Red works the best for shy fish; catfish, piranhas, bichirs, and other fish that hide during the day. I use blue and green for schooling type fishes, I noticed that at night they will swim in the open side of the tank more freely.

Its great to turn on the moonlighting in my tank, and fall alseep watching my fish (my tank is 6" from my bed and even withthe bed, so when I turn to the side im parallel with my tank, very very relaxing)

Moon Light

Hey guys I read the replys you all gave, and am curious, how did you build your LED moon lights??? Got any diagrams you could share...I too would love to see my fish at night without having to blind them with the flash from a lantern!

Thanks.

Wouldn't this create more algea, or is there not enough light being put out to create any?? But I've been kickin the idea around of getting something like this too. I think it would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom