Anyone Use This

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't used this but I don't recommend that you do. If a tank is cycled, enough pwcs are performed and the tank stocked properly there is no use for it.

calfishguy said:
I haven't used this but I don't recommend that you do. If a tank is cycled, enough pwcs are performed and the tank stocked properly there is no use for it.

There is one use. The fact that my tap water is naturally high in nitrates. That's my only reason. I only want to do weekly pwcs not twice a week.

Lifeoffroad said:
There is one use. The fact that my tap water is naturally high in nitrates. That's my only reason. I only want to do weekly pwcs not twice a week.

Not to mention it can only help I imagine.

I agree with Calfishguy.

I might consider trying a product like this if I had a lot of nitrate in my tap water, but if that isn't the case then regular maintenance (weekly water changes) should be sufficient to keep nitrate down, assuming a reasonable stock level and feeding schedule.

*edit*
Lifeoffroad ninja'd my response.

I would probably give the product a try since you have a lot of nitrate coming out of your tap. I've been pleased with the Seachem products that I have used so you might find that it is helpful. Good luck!

calfishguy said:
Have you considered adding live plants to reduce the nitrates.

You know I am just starting to think about that. I would love to but right now funds are tight and I'm not sure I could afford everything.

Do I need to have the following to grow plants?

Co2
Some type of soil mixed with my gravel
New lighting

Lifeoffroad said:
You know I am just starting to think about that. I would love to but right now funds are tight and I'm not sure I could afford everything.

Do I need to have the following to grow plants?

Co2
Some type of soil mixed with my gravel
New lighting

No you don't if you want to grow low light plants. However your light have to be somewhat decent most stock lights should work though.

calfishguy said:
No you don't if you want to grow low light plants. However your light have to be somewhat decent most stock lights should work though.

Here is my light setup

Blue bulb: 120v, f28, t5, BP, Actinic
White bulb: 120v, f28, t5, BP, 10,000k

I also have a small 18" that I use at night sometimes or in combination with the others to give it a more bright effect.

8000k, 15w, t8

Lifeoffroad said:
Here is my light setup

Blue bulb: 120v, f28, t5, BP, Actinic
White bulb: 120v, f28, t5, BP, 10,000k

I also have a small 18" that I use at night sometimes or in combination with the others to give it a more bright effect.

8000k, 15w, t8

I think those would work (I could be wrong but I'm sure someone with more experience will clarify) for low light plants. Here's a good list of low light plants.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...67-excellent-list-plants-low-light-tanks.html

Some java fern and java moss would do well even marimo balls

Those would do fine in the OP's tank, but none of them grow quickly enough to really make an impact on nitrate IMO. You'll need to look at some fast growing low light plants to make much of a difference. You'll probably have enough light for some anacharis and possibly some hornwort. Both of these tend to do well for me as floating plants rather than planted in the substrate. Another option might be water lettuce, that stuff grows really fast in my tanks under normal output T5s. Or- dare I say it- duckweed might help, if you can stand the stuff. :lol:

severum mama said:
Those would do fine in the OP's tank, but none of them grow quickly enough to really make an impact on nitrate IMO. You'll need to look at some fast growing low light plants to make much of a difference. You'll probably have enough light for some anacharis and possibly some hornwort. Both of these tend to do well for me as floating plants rather than planted in the substrate. Another option might be water lettuce, that stuff grows really fast in my tanks under normal output T5s. Or- dare I say it- duckweed might help, if you can stand the stuff. :lol:

I will try all of the low light plants first but I think I am also going to buy the de nitrate for the filter. It looks like it can only help and its not q chemical you pour in so I like that. I really love doing new things with my filtration anyway.

Thanks everyone. In addition to the de nitrate, I'm going to get some low light plants, then maybe replace the acintic bulb for a regular white grow light.

Back
Top Bottom