Anyone used Dr. Tim's Cycling bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi, welcome. I believe that has been tried with some reporting success but can't comment as haven't used it. Are you going to try it?

Yes, will be going for it
The problem that I see, all the reading will be off, given that it might zero out within the first 5 days
I had a friend try and he had zero readings on day 3, I was wondering if anyone else had the same
He was able to introduce fish on day 4

Last edited:
From memory a week to two weeks (or just seemed faster) was the posts I had seen. Did your friend see high ammonia or nitrite readings at all?

Last edited:
Here is the problem, while he was doing daily testing he couldn't tell anything, the readings were zero or very light on Ammonia and zero on Nitrite.
The fish are still in the tank and are going fine, been 2 weeks.
He is feeding lightly.
Very confusing process

Bit odd - was he dosing any ammonia at all while doing the fish less cycle? I quickly found a link as I understand these products don't contain ammonia and nitrifying bacteria - you have to add ammonia solution or fish.

The main one I have used though is API quick start.

http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/fishless-cycling

How did API quick start work for you?
I'm so skeptical of bacteria in a bottle...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

With good reason: companies tend to make exaggerated claims. :rolleyes:

That said, and though I haven't used Dr. Tim's product, it seems to have a good reputation. Their guide to fishless cycling is here, and it includes instructions for using One and Only during a fishless cycle.

I've used Seachem's "Stability," which I'm pretty sure sped up my cycle by several weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would agree on the bottle scepticism. I'd like to see papers on how the bacteria are held dormant and tests on bottle life-span.

My own experience is it appears to speed up the cycle for me. Worse case is it rarely seems to cause problems (having said that, I prefer to only get bottles with nitrifying bacteria).

Bad case here was a cycled tank that went un-cycled and ammonia, then nitrites went off the chart. Dosing with quick start saw the tank cycled again within two weeks (fully stocked tank). Previous cycling time was much longer. I was also using API ammo lock and it didn't prevent tank from cycling. Couple of other minor cases.

But I've never run tests side by side and it could all be good luck. I've never noticed a tank issue dosing nitrifying bacteria only.

I have I believe also noticed a difference with the sludge destroying bacteria just visually looking at a semi-see-through canister filter but I'm not keen on adding bacteria like that if I can avoid it (especially over summer when the tank temp is up).

I've had maybe one or two cases where I've dosed sludge destroying bacteria in a bottle and had bacterial fish infections pop up the following week. The same using root tabs which include organic fertiliser. I know the connection is pretty tenuous but have gotten a bit wary.

We also used to dose a bacterial product once a year in the house sceptic tank which on the odd occasion was opened, appeared to be doing no harm and the plumbers thought the tank had less muck then expected.

Er, so re-reading that's not all very convincing :) I mostly don't worry about dosing any of the products now.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I haven't had to cycle a tank in years since I always have at the very least one tank running.
I'm sure all those products have some limited use and can cut back on cycle time but to be fair, I can't really say since I have never used them.
In most cases I read when it doesn't deliver what's expected from these products and the confusion and issues it creates among newcomers when it comes to cycling a tank.
But I'd also like to read from users how it has worked for them.

Interesting, still don't see how the reading add up.
Yes Dr. Tims ammonia was used s stated 1 drop per gallon.
In Dr. Tims troubleshooting video, he states that the readings could be at zero and you are ready to add fish.
In normal cycle I usually see nitrates at the end.
My friend tested for nitrates and still nothing.
Fish are all fine, with no signs of any stress, and eating.

That's really weird - should get some nitrates. Generally I've always thought the tank has to be reasonably well planted otherwise nitrates will still show.

How about ph? Are you getting any changes there? Decreasing ph could indicate increasing bacterial activity.

Thanks for the detailed reply.
I haven't had to cycle a tank in years since I always have at the very least one tank running.
I'm sure all those products have some limited use and can cut back on cycle time but to be fair, I can't really say since I have never used them.
In most cases I read when it doesn't deliver what's expected from these products and the confusion and issues it creates among newcomers when it comes to cycling a tank.
But I'd also like to read from users how it has worked for them.

I've always wondered how the bacteria go dormant. If the ph is held at some level to deactivate(?) the bacteria but then does that mean no oxygen at all is needed? I assume this is the case as the shelf life seems to be in months. But then it also gets pretty warm in some shops here over summer as well.

There was a sewerage study somewhere (might have link) that showed these bacteria (although different type) can readily reactivate after months I believe. All pretty interesting thread / will see if I have any links still.

The problem I am seeing more and more with regards to bio filtration is that I think our knowledge and understanding of the bacteria within our systems is becoming a little outdated.

According to some studies, it is believed that there are other micro organisms know as ammonia oxidising Archaea that are predominantly responsible for the oxidisation of ammonia in freshwater aquariums with nitrospira being the predominant nitrite oxidising bacteria.

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.328.2761&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This puts our theory of ph<6 kills our bacteria in doubt as this may no longer apply. Because of studies like these I am beginning to believe that our biofilms are much more complex and diverse than originally thought. Perhaps there are different suites of microorganisms that are defined by the environment they are provided. My ph is close to 6 at the height of carbon injection yet my tank runs fine.

Anyways I don't have much faith in these products. I believe is always better practice to allow our bio filters to mature naturally allowing the correct microorganisms to grow in sufficient numbers bringing balance to the tank.

These are just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff,
He added some CC to the HOB and I am waiting for an update on the PH

Just quickly - this was the article I had. As an example of how quick these bacteria types can bounce back.

Still to read Caliban's article :) I agree on the complexity. It would be interesting to study the bacteria from a new tank to one say 12 months old to see if the bacteria change at all perhaps.

Nitrite as a Stimulus for Ammonia-Starved Nitrosomonas europaea

"Sand cultures of N. europaea that had been starved for 1, 2, and 3 months in their own spent medium (i.e., in the presence of 5 mM nitrite) were decanted, and fresh mineral medium containing 5 mM ammonium was added. The ammonium-starved cells started to produce nitrite immediately (Table ​(Table1).1)."

Just quickly - this was the article I had. As an example of how quick these bacteria types can bounce back.

Still to read Caliban's article :) I agree on the complexity. It would be interesting to study the bacteria from a new tank to one say 12 months old to see if the bacteria change at all perhaps.

Nitrite as a Stimulus for Ammonia-Starved Nitrosomonas europaea

"Sand cultures of N. europaea that had been starved for 1, 2, and 3 months in their own spent medium (i.e., in the presence of 5 mM nitrite) were decanted, and fresh mineral medium containing 5 mM ammonium was added. The ammonium-starved cells started to produce nitrite immediately (Table ​(Table1).1)."

Well done Dela. I had been claiming this on here with a few raised eyebrows but couldn't link the article because it was bookmarked on my old phone. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looks like CC brought the KH to 5, will see if the PH keeps stable.

Back
Top Bottom