Anyone with a Jack Dempsey-READ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's our JDs when they were in our 55 (with plastic plants and then went to live plants) before getting them a 120g.

Attachments

• img_1080.jpg
    img_1080.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 136
  • img_1173.jpg
    img_1173.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 118
  • img_1328.jpg
    img_1328.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 112
  • img_1342.jpg
    img_1342.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 113
Here's their 120g before and after the crayfish demolished the live plants.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.JPG
    IMG_1637.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1627.JPG
    IMG_1627.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 109
  • img_1364.jpg
    img_1364.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 114
  • img_1465.jpg
    img_1465.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 114
Dragon,
I looked at your first post and thought, "Wow, those JD are really nice. Ooh, pretty tank, too." Then, I scrolled down and saw your 120g. AH-MAZING! I love it! They look so great! Both the 2nd and 3rd pic really make me jealous. I wish I could aquascape like that!!! Gorgeouss :)

Oh, P.S. In the 3rd picture, what are the tall, grass-like plants in the back called?

Very nice, dont the cichlids themselves destroy the live plants...im afrid to attempt putting plants in with mine because i have heard some horror stories about the plants getting eaten and derooted:/

My mother has Jack's and they have never messed with the plants. I think the stories go for most other cichlid s.

Does anyone have any idea how to get the cichild to eat with the light on...mine wont :(
he kinda freezes up when i have the light on, i want to make feeding videos but i cant do that if you cant see anything...

Dragon,
I looked at your first post and thought, "Wow, those JD are really nice. Ooh, pretty tank, too." Then, I scrolled down and saw your 120g. AH-MAZING! I love it! They look so great! Both the 2nd and 3rd pic really make me jealous. I wish I could aquascape like that!!! Gorgeouss :)

Oh, P.S. In the 3rd picture, what are the tall, grass-like plants in the back called?

My husband is my eyes and I plant/add decor unless it's in one of our deeper tanks. Our two 115g tanks are 31 inches deep and I have short arms. ;)

The grass like plant is jungle val. Very easy to grow.

Very nice, dont the cichlids themselves destroy the live plants...im afrid to attempt putting plants in with mine because i have heard some horror stories about the plants getting eaten and derooted:/

Cichlids are hit and miss with plants. I've only had one cichlid who totally destroyed a tank. Africans are usually the worst about eating plants, but again, it's hit or miss. With these guys (my cichlids) the only thing that demolished the plants was our 2 crawfish, they acted like it was a salad bar. They decimated $100.00 in plants. I've been slowly replanting each time I find something I want to add. The crawfish are now in our pond (yes, it has a heater)

If you're going to go with live plants, try some of the hardier species like anubias, jungle val, crypts, any of the java ferns and java moss. Swords can be questionable depending on the tank size. Some of the smaller varieties might work like the red melon, bleheri, compacta, pygmy chain. The amazon and rose get huge.

ajstank said:
Does anyone have any idea how to get the cichild to eat with the light on...mine wont :(
he kinda freezes up when i have the light on, i want to make feeding videos but i cant do that if you cant see anything...

Just give him/her some time to get used to it. Maybe build it a cave thats nice and shady. Also slowly break him into it.. Slowly increase the amount of time you have the light on everyday

Cichlids are hit and miss with plants. I've only had one cichlid who totally destroyed a tank. Africans are usually the worst about eating plants, but again, it's hit or miss. With these guys (my cichlids) the only thing that demolished the plants was our 2 crawfish, they acted like it was a salad bar. They decimated $100.00 in plants. I've been slowly replanting each time I find something I want to add. The crawfish are now in our pond (yes, it has a heater)

If you're going to go with live plants, try some of the hardier species like anubias, jungle val, crypts, any of the java ferns and java moss. Swords can be questionable depending on the tank size. Some of the smaller varieties might work like the red melon, bleheri, compacta, pygmy chain. The amazon and rose get huge.

Thanks for the plant list. I think I'll try some, a little at a time.

Back
Top Bottom