AP test tubs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well i cant find and maybe they dont sell them separate but
does anyone know where i might be able to buy some extra AP test tubs?

Some LFS like Pets & Pals do carry them. API may also have a site which you can buy them.

Take Care!

Check around at several differen't lfs. All of our mom and pop stores sell them seperately.

I've been having the same problem! The kits come with only 4 tubes, and I've broken one already. With four (coming up to five) tanks to measure twice weekly, I can tell you it's one wee pain in the backside to have to wash-dry-test and repeat for every tank!

If you find them, please PM me or something so I can order some (even if it's from overseas!).

In the meantime I have been looking on EBay for test tubes with stoppers with a capacity larger than the 5ml you need for tank water. I have a pipette so I can use this to measure the 5ml, so the marker on the side of API's tubes isn't important to me.
Just make sure if you order them that they are non-degrading (i.e. they can take chemical use and aren't decorative or for things like herbs! lol).

coldmachineUK said:
I've been having the same problem! The kits come with only 4 tubes, and I've broken one already. With four (coming up to five) tanks to measure twice weekly, I can tell you it's one wee pain in the backside to have to wash-dry-test and repeat for every tank!

If you find them, please PM me or something so I can order some (even if it's from overseas!).

In the meantime I have been looking on EBay for test tubes with stoppers with a capacity larger than the 5ml you need for tank water. I have a pipette so I can use this to measure the 5ml, so the marker on the side of API's tubes isn't important to me.
Just make sure if you order them that they are non-degrading (i.e. they can take chemical use and aren't decorative or for things like herbs! lol).

You need to make sure though that the diameter of the tubes are the same. A long skinny tube or a short fat tube will have different colors (ie darker in the fat tube and lighter in the skinny tube).

I HATE the caps and don't use them (they always leak when I'm shaking). I use parafilm which is a nonreactive plastic that is kind of like saran wrap. Works much better!

Urgh, I didn't think of that....good point! And yes, you're right, the plastic stoppers on the API tubes are useless...I have two of my three that don't fit so I use those for the ammonia and nitrite since I don't have to shake them for so long. My nitrate test was leaving me with only half a tube left if I shook it for as long as it says lol.

coldmachineUK said:
My nitrate test was leaving me with only half a tube left if I shook it for as long as it says lol.

That's exactly why I stopped using them. I would cover the top with some toilet paper and when I was done shaking it would be soaked. Using the plastic makes it so much easier and more accurate.

Can you buy parafilm easily? I know we used to use it back when I was a chem lab rat but I always assumed it was something only labs could order...

I would just get a whole new test kit.

You're going to have to get replacement reagants eventually, and the whole kit is pretty cheap (at least when you have PetSmart match their website it is).

I actually found a UK online store that stocked them and for £1.00 a tube+cap I thought it was cheap enough so I've ordered 3 more. This was with a view to getting 4 more with a new kit (total = 10). So, I thought of both :D

If I can find 'em in the UK, you'll be able to find 'em in the US without any problem :p

I found spare tubes at my local Aquarium Adventure. Fishyfanatic's link to ThatPetPlace has them for about 1/2 what I paid.

I pilfer parafilm from work. I suppose you can buy it from Carolina Biological or Edmund Scientific, but that is probably expensive.

How about you get some PVC or nitrile gloves at the paint store and use your gloved finger as a stopper. Just be sure to rinse off your finger between tests! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom