API Ammo lock..good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gunsmoke25

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Keep hearing that chemicals are bad for the tank and try and stay away from them if possible..just curious on whether API ammo lock is the same..water tested at 1.0 ammonia today and wanna get it dropped.

The one chemical I use when mini cycling is water changes with prime. I don’t know much about ammo lock but the water change will drop the am. by whatever percentage you change and the prime will detoxify any remaining ammonia / nitrites for a day to get your inhabitants to the next water change. If your ammonia is that high you should be changing daily anyway. And test your nitrItes. Ammonia may not be your only problem and I don’t think ammo lock touches nitrites, unlike prime.

Weird thing is fish seem fine and the nitrite and nitrate look fine..I'll try like a 25% water change on it though

Could be that your ph is keeping most of the ammonia from being toxic. A 25% water change will only get it down .75 (or more since fish are constantly producing it) so make sure you use prime to lock up the remainder in case the water change changes the ph too.

I used to use the api lock and it was pretty much but have since swapped to seachem safe (powder form of prime) as cheaper and does a little more

Back
Top Bottom