API aquarium salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From your other post, if you are planning on live plants, they wont tolerate salt, or at least most plants wont.

From my occasional use of salt, lve dosed at 1 teaspoon per gallon, when ive done a water change ive added salt back in to cover the amount of water removed.

So don’t use salt if I’m planning to put live plants in ?
Will that hurt fish ?

It would be interesting to know how many people use aquarium salt in freshwater tanks.

My understanding is that it isnt common practice, except where used as a medication. It can have some benefits to a freshwater aquarium, but shouldn't be used in planted tanks. You will probably get away with java fern, anubias and crypts as these are brackish water plants.

I would say the benefits of a planted tank would outweigh the benefits of salt. Perhaps other people with more experience of using salt can chip in.

Not going to put any plants in right now but am planning on it. How would I get the salt out ? I’m not going to add anymore with my water changes.

Back
Top Bottom