API freshwater test kit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have tried tests having just rinsed in tapwater, having let them dry, having done a final rinse in the tank ... They all come out the same. Frankly I wouldn't want any chance of a trace of the testing compound in the tank. I had a test tube splash a tiny droplet in a betta tank and he was dead the next day though his water was perfect and he'd been healthy.

The nitrate test is a bear. I do get inconsistent results from it except when I can convince my 4 year old to dance around the room and shake it while I do all the other tests.

But ammonia and nitrite, and pH, have always been consistent with the API kits. Those are what's important. Test strips gave me low results on ammonia and pH.

Oh... The API pH is tough if you're in the mid 7s. It's tough to tell even if you do both, whether you're 7.4 or 7.6, but that is harder on you than the fish.

I have tried tests having just rinsed in tapwater, having let them dry, having done a final rinse in the tank ... They all come out the same. Frankly I wouldn't want any chance of a trace of the testing compound in the tank. I had a test tube splash a tiny droplet in a betta tank and he was dead the next day though his water was perfect and he'd been healthy.

The nitrate test is a bear. I do get inconsistent results from it except when I can convince my 4 year old to dance around the room and shake it while I do all the other tests.

But ammonia and nitrite, and pH, have always been consistent with the API kits. Those are what's important. Test strips gave me low results on ammonia and pH.

Oh... The API pH is tough if you're in the mid 7s. It's tough to tell even if you do both, whether you're 7.4 or 7.6, but that is harder on you than the fish.

I've noticed low results for ammonia as well from strips. It's the colours that I can't tell on some of the API tests eg nitrate.

I've noticed low results for ammonia as well from strips. It's the colours that I can't tell on some of the API tests eg nitrate.

Yeah. Hate that!!

During my cycle I started diluting my tank water with distilled to get into the lower colors where it's easier to tell. That's what's easier for me. The strips are easier to read, I'd use them for most testing and back up with the drops, if the strips weren't so expensive.

Yeah. Hate that!!

During my cycle I started diluting my tank water with distilled to get into the lower colors where it's easier to tell. That's what's easier for me. The strips are easier to read, I'd use them for most testing and back up with the drops, if the strips weren't so expensive.

Yes, reckon :) I've still got the strips but they are expensive to buy. But a lot easier to tell (grumble, grumble). I'm glad it's not just me, I was thinking of getting my eyes checked or something :)

Back
Top Bottom