API Master Test Kit High PH test

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
I did a PH test today and it was a reddish colour that I could not match to any of the reference colours. Does anyone know what this means?

The only difference I have done is I started dosing my tank with Flourish Excel.

Fancy goldfish, 38 gallon dimensions are in my profile. I recently added new plants.

It matches the nitrate red colour actually..

Not sure why it has gone up so much?? I did a 70% pwc 5 days ago. Usually my PH is 7.8 (before I added Flourish Excel and the new plants)

It's the high PH test. My understanding is that goldfish are pretty adaptable to PH, as long as there are no sudden changes..

My fish are doing fine right now..

im not sure ive never had goldfish but i know that they thrive in the 7-7.5 range and those fall in the regular low range Ph test. after the 70% water change did you treat the new water with anything?

I treat it with water conditioner and dosed Flourish and Flourish excel for the plants. The test was taken before the water change.

not completely sure but i would keep checking it every day and if it dosnt start to decrease API makes a Hp-Down that you could use

Cecil2010 said:
goldfish should have a Ph of about 7.0 -7.5. did you use the Ph test or the High range Ph test?

I disagree with this comment. The fancy breeders I know are very serious about their fish and are religious about keeping their fish in ph ranges of 7.8 to 8.2 for ideal health, growth and breeding. Goldies, as are most fish, are quite adaptable to different phs as well.

not completely sure but i would keep checking it every day and if it dosnt start to decrease API makes a Hp-Down that you could use

Adding chemicals to change the PH is usually not advisable because it may cause PH swings that are more harmful to the fish. Regular water changes are best. The PH from my tap is 7.8, so I suspect the PH change was due to adding the Flourish excel (or maybe the new plants)?

I disagree with this comment. The fancy breeders I know are very serious about their fish and are religious about keeping their fish in ph ranges of 7.8 to 8.2 for ideal health, growth and breeding. Goldies, as are most fish, are quite adaptable to different phs as well.

yes like i said ive never personally owned goldfish so i could be wrong, these numbers are just what ive always been told.

No ph down products are needed. This will set the tank up for drastic swings which are very stressful for fish. Ryukins, have you checked the ph of your tap since you noticed the slight jump? Make sure you set it out overnight preferably with bubbler/airstone. Leave enough out to run a few tests. Check ph, check with drop flourish& check with drop excel and see how they all read. I doubt the plants had any effect. Let's see how these numbers read! :)

Back
Top Bottom