Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

API Master Test Kits - ON SALE

Just an FYI - the API Master Test Kits are on sale at Amazon.com, both Freshwater ($19.99, regularly $29.99 - $32.99) and Saltwater ($18.99, regularly $32.99). I didn't check shipping costs, but if the shipping costs are reasonably low, then this might be a good deal for you. My PetSmart sells these kits for $32.99, so getting two for around $40.00 is a bargain for me. Anyhow, just passing this along. ETA: The Aquarium Systems Ocean Reef Master Test Kit is also on sale for $57.74, normally $84.99.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

thats a pretty good deal, although one of my lfs sells them for $19.99 every day (no shipping )... thats one of the best prices ive seen online. Thanks for sharing for everybody to see

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

I think that about sums it up.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awosme deal, too bad i just bought a test kit like a week ago. Darn you world.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

That's cheaper than the average LFS. However, the shipping from that particular Amazon associated store (AbsolutelyPets) charges $5.65 for shipping on top of the $19.95 (not sure about tax). The best deal that I came across is from Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. (LINK) for $17.65. If you choose the site-to-store shipping, there's no additional charges other than the applicable sales tax pertaining to where you live (in my case, about 19 bucks out the door). It took about a week from when I ordered it to when it was ready for pick-up. One thing to note, the test kit on walmart doesn't show that it is an "API" test kit (in the description and in the picture). However, based on reading the reviews on the walmart site, I found out that it is indeed an API kit (the one that say 800 tests on it). Sure enough, when I went to pick it up, I can confirm it's API (the same one that runs $30+ at Petsmart & Petco)!

Here's the actual product that I got from walmart
Old 02-04-2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Skype™ to LemurLad
Oh, well. All the more awesome then! Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Chriznat20
Thanks!!

I think I paid around $28 for my API kit.... although that was back in 2002. I just buy replacement solution for the kit when it expires, or I run out.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriznat20 View Post
I just buy replacement solution for the kit when it expires, or I run out.
I was wondering if you could just buy replacement solution - where do you buy it? I haven't checked for it at the big stores (PetSmart, PetCo), but can you get replacement bottles there, or at WalMart? I'm so glad to hear that you can get replacement solution - less glass and plastic recyclables that way!
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoapennything View Post
I was wondering if you could just buy replacement solution - where do you buy it? I haven't checked for it at the big stores (PetSmart, PetCo), but can you get replacement bottles there, or at WalMart? I'm so glad to hear that you can get replacement solution - less glass and plastic recyclables that way!
I got my last nitrite & nitrate replacement kit from Petco. $4 ea!

Not so lucky on the ammonia kit... well sorta $7 at Petco online.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Nano12g View Post
That's cheaper than the average LFS. However, the shipping from that particular Amazon associated store (AbsolutelyPets) charges $5.65 for shipping on top of the $19.95 (not sure about tax).
I was thinking that it's too bad the kits weren't eligible for Amazon Prime, then shipping would have been free. Of course not everyone is a Prime member (I am, because I use Amazon so much that it's more than worth the fee to me). Even so, the price of the kit PLUS shipping is still less than what I paid for my kit at my PetSmart. It could be a good option for shut-ins or someone who lives in a very rural area without any local pet stores. Also, I'm willing to go on the record as officially lazy, so sometimes, when it comes to shipping charges, I ask myself: Is $5.00 worth an hour of my time? Would I rather pay $5.00 and spend that hour doing something else, or would I rather not pay the $5.00 shipping charge? Sometimes I pay, sometimes I don't. I sometimes decide that an hour of my time is worth more than $5.00, when I break it down to time, gas, traffic, etc. It's not that I advocate spending extra money unnecessarily, but if a product plus shipping is still less than what I would pay locally, then, yeah, I'll order it. I hope my logic makes sense!

Quote:
The best deal that I came across is from Walmart.com: Save money. Live better. (LINK) for $17.65.
That's definitely a good price. I myself am a WalMart boycotter. I'll pay a little extra. I know most people don't boycott WalMart, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriznat20 View Post
I got my last nitrite & nitrate replacement kit from Petco. $4 ea! Not so lucky on the ammonia kit... well sorta $7 at Petco online.
It's still cheaper than buying a whole new kit! Thanks for the tip
Old 02-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
thats a pretty good deal, although one of my lfs sells them for $19.99 every day (no shipping )... thats one of the best prices ive seen online. Thanks for sharing for everybody to see
Can you tell me where that is? pm me if needed.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoapennything View Post
That's definitely a good price. I myself am a WalMart boycotter. I'll pay a little extra. I know most people don't boycott WalMart, though.
Your not alone I boycot walmart as well.

John
Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Ok.. so bring me up to speed.. what's the big deal about Walmart? If they (or anyone else for that matter) price things cheaper than I'm all for it. I'm not rich afterall. But if they've done something extremely erroneous than maybe I'll do the same and boycott. Please enlighten me coz I think I live under a rock when it comes to them.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Ok.. so bring me up to speed.. what's the big deal about Walmart? If they (or anyone else for that matter) price things cheaper than I'm all for it. I'm not rich afterall. But if they've done something extremely erroneous than maybe I'll do the same and boycott. Please enlighten me coz I think I live under a rock when it comes to them.
Because they sell chinese junk (basically putting their nose up to American jobs and products), they treat their employees like garbage (keeping them at a low wage that prevents them from being anything more than poverty stricken), and they put every mom and pa shop out of business wherever they pop up a store (Ever hear that its small business that moves our economy?), they beat the brow of their suppliers which makes the company cut corners to keep up with WM's demands, which in response lay off or treat their employees worse (less pay, no benefits, etc).

I try to shop at my LFS (local business), my local hardware store (not a chain), and love my local thrift store! All local businesses.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

so we should probably drop the whole walmart thing before it gets out of hand and turns in to a debate... dont want the mods to have to come in and start deleting posts

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
dont want the mods to have to come in and start deleting posts
But that is when it gets interesting. But i guess your right.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
so we should probably drop the whole walmart thing before it gets out of hand and turns in to a debate... dont want the mods to have to come in and start deleting posts
Debates are fun... but okay One thing to note, API is "API" ... "Made in USA" so purchasing it from anywhere is still supporting the good old "U" "S" of "A" ....

Tags
api, sale, test, test kits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com