API master tk ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabbycat0282

Aquarium Advice Regular
When you read the card and it tells you to mix the liquid by tipping the bottle/vial back and forth....how vigorous should you be when you are tipping it back and forth. I have found that the more vigorous my mixing the higher my nitrates. This has happened 3 times in a row now.... This might be a stupid question...but I am getting very strange results (5-10 with one tube and 80 with the very next one of the four with the same water extraction).

the nitrate one should be shaken very vigorously. the bottle for 30 seconds and the test tube for one solid minute.

For Nitrate you need to shake it vigorously as harmy mentioned. The others are easier and only require a few seconds of shaking.

Thanks all! I wasn't shaking it that much at first. I would shake them for the required time but not very vigorously at all. Now, if I could only train my eyes to be better at matching colors.....

Okay new question:

After you have shaken the vials vigorously and let them sit the 5 mandated minutes.... when you go to look at the color of the liquid do you put the vial against the card on the white strip of the card? Hold the vial away from the card? I am doing both in the direct light of my kitchen and don't know which is correct as this changes the color of the liquid (shadow or not).

The instructions say to hold the vial in front of the white strip on the card.

something i found somewhere else awhile ago.

Hello all. I have gone back & forth via email with API today, and they've given me some valuable information on the API Freshwater Master Test Kits. The original topic thread on concerns that I had about the test kit results are in a previous topic:

http://www.fishlore.com/Forum/1-gene...itrates.0.html

Basically, I was seeing nitrate test results yesterday that I found unbelievably low - zero - in an established tank.

I was very impressed with the quick responses I got from API, and my faith is restored in their test kits. I'll paste in the information from emails with API. Note - I was finally able to get a nitrate reading of 40 ppm after following their directions:

"Thank you very much for contacting us regarding our products. All of
your comments and questions are valuable. We use your feedback to
create the most effective line of aquarium and pond products available.

Your solutions are not expired. Each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed
on the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of
manufacture. Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured
in January of 2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH,
Nitrate, Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years.
Nitrite and KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and
Pond Care Salt Level will last for five years. I would not trust these
kits after they have expired.

Liquid Nitrate Test Kits from any manufacturer can have a common problem
with their last test solution. For some companies, it is bottle number
3, but for us it is bottle number 2. One of the ingredients wants to
solidify out of liquid solution. If the test bottle sits for any period
of time, this can happen. If this does happen and the test is performed
without Bottle # 2 mixed properly, then you can get a falsely low
reading. I have never heard of falsely high readings with Nitrate Kits.
I would try tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or counter
top. This should loosen-up anything that has solidified. Then I would
shake this bottle for about 2-3 minutes, to really mix it up. Try the
test again and hopefully this will fix your problem. With regular weekly
usage, this bottle should only need to be shaken for 30-60 seconds.

Always check results at the recommended duration of time. Letting the
tubes sit longer can result in falsely high levels."

I then asked if heating the nitrate test solution #2 would help get the material back into solution and got this reply:

"I don't think heating is necessary, plus I don't want to degrade the
chemicals in any way. Tapping your Bottle # 2 a few times on a table or
counter top and then shaking should be adequate, but you will
immediately know with the next test."

I then asked if the proper way to match the colors was to place the test tube directly on the card, or back it up a bit, since the color can get a little darker when placed directly on the card. Since the gentleman was being so honest with me, in admitting that there could be a problem with their test solutions (or anyone elses) I thought it would be courteous to ask if I could share this information in the forums I read:

"You do touch the test tube to the color card.

It will be ok for you to share the Nitrtae Test Information. It is a
problem that every manufacturer has and we are interested in the kit
working properly for the consumer. "

As I said, the nitrate test finally gave me an expected reading, and my faith is now restored in the test kits. And I am really impressed with any manufacturer that replies quickly, tells you that there could be a problem with their product, and tells you how to fix it!

"You do touch the test tube to the color card.

Awesome! Thanks for the info harmy! I have been tanking the 'touching' color reading, but wanted to make sure I was doing it correctly.

Reading the colors is something of an art, just about everyone says this, after awhile you'll get a feel for it I would say.

Also many people say good lighting helps(CRI), some go outside, both say having good lighting at there back(over the shoulder) then comparing.

I'm not that romantic with my test kit, lol

also if you read the gh/kh papers it says if you cant read the color to set it on a white card and look from top down(with the cap off) so anytime im unsure of the color thats also what i do. i tend to get exact color matches looking that way.

I have found that the easiest way for me to get stinky about which color is which is to put the tube horizontal across the card on the white strip below the colors for comparison and roll it up slowly. There will be a point at which the color on the card will line up exactly with the tube without the color below showing through or the color above showing through. Then you get a really good comparison (though once the tube is parallel to the color swab you have to tilt both slightly to the left so the air pocket is out of the way).

I have been charting my readings on a spreadsheet and first try and determine the color, then check the last reading to see how close I am. Sunlight seems to help pick them out easier. Being red/green colorblind doesn't help much. I also have my wife double check my choice occasionally to make sure I'm not way outa wack.:rolleyes:

I like the idea of rolling the tube up to the colors as saffikeagan suggested. I'll try that next time.

Back
Top Bottom