API masterkit liquid testing help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I recently just got this. I SWEAR I'm following the directions correctly. I've read them 3 times and tested twice already!

The high range pH looks a darker purple than the two purples on the sheet.

Nitrate in the bottle is showing yellow (the same color as the drops) even though my old strips said they were at 60. I just added plants yesterday AND just did a water change, but is it possibly that the strips really were that inaccurate? Or the plants helped that fast?

Also, ammonia at it LOWEST (0) should be yellow. Mine is coming in clear during both tests. Is that normal?

I've been filling them as they should be filled and stuff. What's going on?

I have been waiting 5-10 minutes for each to fully develop. :/

It's my first time using this kit obviously :sweatdrop:

EDIT: not sure if there's a difference between bottle numbers 1 and 2 for ammonia and nitrate, but I've been using number 1 for both tests

Nitrates are zero btw.

Pics:

Attachments

• image-189418551.jpg
    image-189418551.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 68
  • image-958172361.jpg
    image-958172361.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 65
  • image-1837086088.jpg
    image-1837086088.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 73
Therein lies your problem. You must use both bottles 1 & 2 for those tests. Ammonia, 8 drops from bottle 1, 8 drops from bottle 2, cap and shake vigorously. For nitrates, you need to shake both bottles vigorously for at least a minute before putting 10 drops of bottle 1, 10 drops of bottle 2, cap and shake. Hope that helps

OMG that makes sense. I swear to god I was like "what am i doing wrong???" OMG thanks so much.

Also only wait 5 minutes to read the tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Any longer or shorter can produce wrong results. The pH test should be read straight away.

Okay so after retesting it's saying nitrates are 5.0

But my test strips were saying they were at 60

Is it possible that they were THAT INACCURATE? I mean I know they suck but that bad!?

It couldn't possibly be my plants right? I added 4 amazon swords yesterday and removed all fake decor (except a bridge) last night at 10:30. That wouldn't cause that much of a jump would it?

Water changes before would keep the nitrates at 60 no matter what. But maybe they've always been at 5 and it was reading 60 from garbage strips...?

I have a picture of the pH. Even reading right away the pH looks darker than it should be..? Darker than any of the options on the test strips. I hope to god I'm not doing anything wrong there.

And I would be reading at 5 minutes because nothing was showing up on ammonia (doing it wrong) I waited longer. But thank you for the help!!!

Or perhaps it's zero? It's a tad bit darker than it looks in the picture but it's still yellowish. It's between 0 and 5

But strips said 60 before. Am I still testing wrong?

Attachments

• image-2486118644.jpg
    image-2486118644.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 64
I knew they weren't the most accurate but THAT BAD??? Wow.. Yeah I was inexperienced when I bought them and wanted to finish them. Then I lost my job and couldn't afford buying the real liquid kit. But I made my money I got it! I'm so happy I got it.

I have a picture of the pH. Even reading right away the pH looks darker than it should be..? Darker than any of the options on the test strips.

I'm not the best at reading the kits, but from what I understand, you should pay attention to the hue, not the brightness. Judging by your photo I would say pH looks to be 8.3.

With the nitrate test make sure to add the drops from bottle one, cap and shake for a couple seconds then add the drops from bottle 2 cap and shake for ONE minute... This is important.... Then wait 5 minutes to read the results. Also as important is to shake the heck outta bottle 2 before you add the drops, even tapping it against stuff. It has suspended particles that are notorious for settling to the bottom and giving inaccurate results when doing the test. When you think you have shaken it enough,, shake it some more.

I always have these problems with my API test kit too! I also once got confused when I saw that the tube for ammonia was clear! :p haha

Like others have said, it really helps to shake the bottle well. What I like to do is occupy myself by doing something after I place the drops in the tube and shake it. Oh yeah, make sure you shake/invert the drops into the water in the tube and let it set to find its true color. I tend to shake mines like craaaaaazy but that's just me.

It does get a little annoying trying to level the water at the white line, so it helps to use a dropper!

If you get stuck between 2 colors, it's most likely a range in between both ppms. For example, I'm doing a fish in cycle and whenever I test for ammonia, it's not yellow but not as light green either. So I would say it's in between 0ppm and .25ppm. As for ph, is the same thing.

Wow. So after retesting (shaking bottles up and stuff) my nitrates really ARE around 60. So the strips were right. Well, at least I know now it's my tap water and I need to start buying RO water :/

Wow. So after retesting (shaking bottles up and stuff) my nitrates really ARE around 60. So the strips were right. Well, at least I know now it's my tap water and I need to start buying RO water :/

Have you tested the water straight from the tap? If you're correct, then your water isn't even safe to drink. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom