API Quick Start killing my fish??????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I set up a new tank for 3 expensive fish and I knew that I had to cycle the tank before I got the fish so I bought API QuickStart and 5 ghost shrimp. I acclimated all of the shrimp and then added the correct dose of Quick Start. Overnight all the ghost shrimp died. I did a 50% water change to try and lower the inevitable high ammonia, after that I grabbed my test kit and got bad results-my tank had not cycled at all. So I went back to the pet store to get a second opinion on the water parameters and they got the same thing. So I decided to buy the stock for my boyfriends tank and put them in the tank to cycle it. I bought 6 harlequin rasboras. I acclimated all of them and once again added the correct dose of quick start. Overnight 2 died and 3 are missing. Which makes me wonder. I've never had a problem with this many fish dying. I bought a betta along with the rasboras as part of his stock but I put it in my 2.5g to cycle it and the betta is fine and healthy. Maybe it is just the tank? Im not sure what to do. Could the quick start be killing my fish? Maybe I could collect the alive rasboras and dump out the tank and starting over? Help!

46g Red tailed shark tank
10g Betta and Ember Tetras
10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

It takes weeks to cycle a tank. Even months at times. If you try rush your cycle with priducts like quick start it ends bad most of the time. I've learned that through experience. Look up fishless cycle using pure ammonia. Its the best way in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Quick start won't cycle your tank immediately. Try getting some filter media from an established tank (ask lfs) this cam help speed things up but you will still need to test regularly and be prepared for 24-48 hourly pwc until tank stabilises. Only feed a little to prevent ammonia spikes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These products only add a start up culture of the most common nitrogen cycle strains.

An established tank will have many more forms of bacteria present.
And many are specific to your tanks ph.

And the nitrite to nitrate bacteria are the slowest to build up in a tank. So constant testing and reaction pwc's are still required with a fish in cycle, even with additives.

Bacteria supplements at most just provide a jump start. Very very rarely will it take the cycle most of the way through. You just have to let it cycle naturally.

Next time if you want to set up a tank fast in the future, but the filter for it on an established tank so it can be ready when you want to set up a new tank. I've done that for a few tanks now.

Caleb

Ok. Would it be safe to put my established filter on the new tank now after all of the death?

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Ok. Would it be safe to put my established filter on the new tank now after all of the death?

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

If possible I would remove any livestock in the cycling tank and move to an established tank, imo even hardy fish don't appreciate the stress from ammonia and nitrite. You can still put the filter material in to help cycle the tank. When your testing comes back with zero ammonia and nitrite do a 50% pwc to reduce the build up of nitrate you will have.

You can dose with regular house hold ammonia and an eye dropper to keep the bacteria going.

If possible I would remove any livestock in the cycling tank and move to an established tank, imo even hardy fish don't appreciate the stress from ammonia and nitrite.

Yes st

They all died so. The cycling tank is currently empty. The 6th rasbora died a moment ago.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

They all died so. The cycling tank is currently empty. The 6th rasbora died a moment ago.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Yes you can but wouldn't that leave your other tank without a filter? Unless you run double of course.

Caleb

I run double on my 10g. I have a sponge and an HOB. I could just take the HOB off cause the sponge is new and probably not too covered in BB yet.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

But after I add it, would it be safe to put it back on the 10g after?

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

Wow, there's a lot of stuff going on in this thread atm. But I am going to try to touch on everything.

1 - API Quick start isn't killing your fish.
2 - Like was stated before, it takes weeks to months to cycle a tank
3 - http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html
4 - You can use some of the filter media from an established tank, but you want to be sure not to take all the media from that tank. The established tank needs it too.
5 - How to acclimate new arrivals: Acclimation Procedure for Aquatic Life: Welcoming Home New Arrivals The drip method is best.
6 - Your tank is safe after all the death
7 - As per your signature: A 5g is far far far too small for a betta sorority. They need a 30g minimum. I would bet large sums of money that they will begin killing each other when they start to grow up.

They each have a 5g, I just didn't feel like putting 3 more 5g down because my sig was already really long :p and I tried to fishless cycle and it didn't work at all. I did it for 2 months and never had any nitrates. Don't start telling me I did it wrong because I followed multiple people who know what they are doing and they all said that my tank was just not taking to it and advised to get fish. I'm not just out to kill fish. And I know how to acclimate fish. I have 4 other healthy tanks besides this one. And my HOB only has one slot for media so I was going to use some biomax from my 46g but I didn't know if I could just place them on my filter cause it doesn't have a biomax slot.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

But after I add it, would it be safe to put it back on the 10g after?

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

You can just use the media from it don't need the actual filter to move.

Just needs some flow through it. Ie place in the new HOB, wrap around a circulating pump... Also can squeeze what's on it onto the new filter material for the cycling tank to get the same effect.

Can also use some of the gravel from old tank if they are the same look as to not ruin the aesthetics since bb inhabits there as well.

You can just use the media from it don't need the actual filter to move.

Just needs some flow through it. Ie place in the new HOB, wrap around a circulating pump... Also can squeeze what's on it onto the new filter material for the cycling tank to get the same effect.

Can also use some of the gravel from old tank if they are the same look as to not ruin the aesthetics since bb inhabits there as well.

While true, adding old substrate is often just adding nitrates as well because I don't think we can ever get it as clean as it was originally.

Caleb

They each have a 5g, I just didn't feel like putting 3 more 5g down because my sig was already really long [emoji14] and I tried to fishless cycle and it didn't work at all. I did it for 2 months and never had any nitrates. Don't start telling me I did it wrong because I followed multiple people who know what they are doing and they all said that my tank was just not taking to it and advised to get fish. I'm not just out to kill fish. And I know how to acclimate fish. I have 4 other healthy tanks besides this one. And my HOB only has one slot for media so I was going to use some biomax from my 46g but I didn't know if I could just place them on my filter cause it doesn't have a biomax slot.

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish
Ahh that makes a lot of sense with the multiple bettas :D

My only problem with your fish dying is that there are only soo many reasons fish die. Especially when new to a tank. Barring a nitrogen problem (you said parameters were fine) and illness (only a particularly deadly form of columnaris would kill this fast that im aware of) then process of elimination points to acclimation. Osmotic shock can kill within minutes to a few days down the road.
How did you acclimate?
What is the ph of your tank?

Went to the LFS and was told that their stock was messed up and that I need another tank. They gave me a 10g for 50% off and 2 dividers for the 3 fish. Thanks guys!!

10g Betta breeding tank
5g Female Betta Sorority
5g Male Breeder Betta
5g Crayfish

You have that many fish tanks you should know by now how the nitrogen cycle works..

My suggestion is to stop watching TANKED and learn how a fish tank really works

Have you noticed on the new episodes how they talk about the filter system they use now, the sump with the bio balls. and they put like a gallon of quick start in the tank. They never used to show that

I just don't see how they make it work so quickly. Freshwater yes, saltwater no.

Caleb

I just don't see how they make it work so quickly. Freshwater yes, saltwater no.

Caleb

You can keep filtration filtered with salt water the exact same way you do with fresh. There's nothing different with cycling salt compared to fresh, it's just usually done with live rock rather than filter pads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom