Api test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Enigma77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an old Api masters freshwater test kit which was supposed to have expired 2 years ago.. So i purchased a new one (expires 2017) and compared the 2 on all 4 tests and had exactly the same results.. .5ppm on ammonia (tank is 1 week old).. Ph 7.6 all others are 0...
My question is how accurate are the expiry dates on these tests? If it really had expired why am I still getting accurate results?

I have an old Api masters freshwater test kit which was supposed to have expired 2 years ago.. So i purchased a new one (expires 2017) and compared the 2 on all 4 tests and had exactly the same results.. .5ppm on ammonia (tank is 1 week old).. Ph 7.6 all others are 0...
My question is how accurate are the expiry dates on these tests? If it really had expired why am I still getting accurate results?

I think the quality just can't be guaranteed past the expiry. It doesn't necessarily mean that they won't be accurate. What conditions was your kit stored in?

Stored in its original container inside a aquarium cabinet.. I'd only used it a couple of times while my other tanks were cycling..

The expiration date for the kit may be based on the earliest expiration date for ONE of the components. And those component expiration dates are a result of extensive testing to determine when a product starts to fail or a percentage of the tests falls below an acceptable limit.
In other words, that may be hard to tell. I would continue to use the old one and spot check with the new kit from time to time if used for regular maintenance testing (not cycling). If you have a control (DI/RO water) that's always nice to have on hand for QC purposes.

I wouldn't think that the testing chemicals would go bad. I never even looked for an expiration date on mine...never crossed my mind.

Yeah I think I will just keep using the old kit then checking it against the new kit couple times a month to make sure it's still accurate..
Thanks guys for your help

Back
Top Bottom