API test kit pH/ lowering ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimmysparks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok i had a 29 gallon tank which my pH was about 7.6 i got an established 75 gallon filled it transferred my fish but kept the gravel and filter media that was in the 75 before i got it.
I tested the pH and it read 7.6 but i used the high pH kit and it reads 8.0. i need to try to keep it between 7.4-7.6. ive heard adding chemicals such as pH down doesnt permanetly lower it but only less that 24 hrs. if i get driftwood how long before i see results? any other suggestions?

ok i had a 29 gallon tank which my pH was about 7.6 i got an established 75 gallon filled it transferred my fish but kept the gravel and filter media that was in the 75 before i got it.
I tested the pH and it read 7.6 but i used the high pH kit and it reads 8.0. i need to try to keep it between 7.4-7.6. ive heard adding chemicals such as pH down doesnt permanetly lower it but only less that 24 hrs. if i get driftwood how long before i see results? any other suggestions?

Why do you want to change it? I keep all sorts of fish at 7.6.

Yo, I've already tried to ajust PH. The only thing I can tell you, is that it will more harm than something else. Fishs really hate PH fluctuations. If you put PH minus in the water, the PH will suddently drop one shot, that may stress then fish. And the day after, your PH will increase. This will stress more the fish.

The best way to lower PH is to cut your tap water with a bit of RODI water at each WC. In the aquarium, stability is better than respecting fish PH range. Adding RODI or distillated water will lower the KH value, then the PH will naturally lower by itself.

In my case, I never saw difference in PH by adding driftwood. I will suggest you do nothing for correcting this. What you can do it testing for KH.

I have API PH test kit too, and I can tell you that they are really NOT accurate and really hard to read. I have cardinals, neons, corys, shrimps, lampeye and more in my 29g, for this build the recommanded PH is 6.6-6.8 but they are really happy since 1 year at PH 7.6.

Remember, stability before.

Fish aren't nearly as picky about pH as people tend to think. I would just let it be without intervention, and your fish will acclimate to the new pH.

Back
Top Bottom