API test result questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I got a new tank 3 days ago. I added a school of lemon tetras for an ammonia source. Today I tested my results and got Ammonia: 0 , Nitrite: 0 , and Nitrate: 0 - .5 ... What do these results mean?? Shouldn't there be some ammonia?? I can't possibly be done cycling already can I?

Just to clarify, are you using the API liquid master test kit, or API test strips?

I hope you do not lose the fish. It is far better to cycle using pure ammonia or even shrimp bits, than fish. Ammonia is so toxic to fish, it burns their gills, even at low levels and since virtually all the waste that fish produce is ammonia, there will be some.

Seven small fish in a 30G tank may take a few days to produce enough to read on a test, but it will show up. And then the fish will suffer for however long the cycle takes, and possibly die as a result. If they survive, it will shorten their lives and make them susceptible to infections later on.

I truly wish fish stores would not tell people fish in cycling is ok. There are safer ways now.

I hope you do not lose the fish. It is far better to cycle using pure ammonia or even shrimp bits, than fish. Ammonia is so toxic to fish, it burns their gills, even at low levels and since virtually all the waste that fish produce is ammonia, there will be some.

Seven small fish in a 30G tank may take a few days to produce enough to read on a test, but it will show up. And then the fish will suffer for however long the cycle takes, and possibly die as a result. If they survive, it will shorten their lives and make them susceptible to infections later on.

I truly wish fish stores would not tell people fish in cycling is ok. There are safer ways now.

Yes it is toxic. I'm not going to deny that. But a fish in cycle is not a death sentence nor is it going to shorten a fish's life if its done correctly.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/fish-in-cycling-step-over-into-the-dark-side-176446.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/your-guide-to-ammonia-toxicity-159994.html

Back
Top Bottom