API Test Tube stoppers bulk buy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Edit to add: I am having samples from several vendors sent to me. Hopefully within a week or two, a viable alternative will be available.

(Continued from http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/test-kits-api-vs-seachem-vs-redsea-240872.html)

As many of us have become all to familiar, the caps provided to us by API for their test kits are notoriously leaky. If you read the post referenced above, I've started the trek for the Holy Grail: A replacement cap or stopper for our tubes that won't leak when we do the shake, rattle, 'n' roll for our nitrate testing.

I have spoken with the vendor this morning, and since the tubes I am trying to purchase the caps for are not their tubes, they cannot promise a leakproof seal with the caps I was going to purchase (found here 12mm Thumb Caps (Multi-Color)). I am requesting information from them about alternatives (ie, non-reactive rubber stoppers, other caps, etc).

The exact price will depend on what item I am able to find. Once I find an appropriate replacement, I will post pricing here.

Shipping will be flat USPS shipping: $5.35 for a Priority Mail flat rate box. Right now, US folks only.

That being said, if I am able to find a suitable replacement cap for the leaky ones given to us by API, and you are interested in purchasing some from me, please reply to this thread with a quantity that you would like to purchase. Please reply even if you already posted in the other thread so that I have one consolidated location to go over for a final tally.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I need 10 please (and if you happen upon more tubes I'd be interested in a price for them too)

Wow I thought i was just a clutz! Haha I'll be shaking and my papers will get wet and I'm like." We'll I can't put my fiver over it, but this is more important than school work!"

Samples are in the mail from 2 vendors. Hopefully I will find one that works well.

I have checked into replacement tubes. They are prohibitively expensive (ie, a case of 700, which is the smallest most places will sell, for about $250..not including shipping). Unless I find a local supplier, for now, it's gonna be the stoppers/caps only :)

dmolavi said:
Samples are in the mail from 2 vendors. Hopefully I will find one that works well.

I have checked into replacement tubes. They are prohibitively expensive (ie, a case of 700, which is the smallest most places will sell, for about $250..not including shipping). Unless I find a local supplier, for now, it's gonna be the stoppers/caps only :)

I sure hope at least one works. I can't wait to not have to hold paper towel over the cap just to not make a mess.

I sure hope at least one works. I can't wait to not have to hold paper towel over the cap just to not make a mess.

I hope so, to. I think a total of almost a dozen different types of caps, plugs, and stoppers are incoming...I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed :)

Edit to add: I have requested samples of silicon stoppers in addition to the plastic cap/plugs that are already on the way. Hopefully the vendor will oblige.

Last edited:
Here's the latest. I am having a sample of one, maybe two, silicone stoppers delivered. One set of them is reasonably priced, $17 for 50. The other is out of sight, $130 for 12. Guess which one I vote for :)

Once I get everything in, I'll cap up my tubes, shake the everlovin' you know what out of them, and see which one stands up to the test.

The first set of stopper samples arrived today. One was too small, the other fit very well. See the attached image. You'll notice a small amount of leakage, but this was after 60 seconds of insanely vigorous shaking, much more so than what I normally do with any of the tests. My goal was to see how it stood up to the hardest shaking I could do. Nothing leaked out of the tube.

I will retest it a few times tomorrow to see if performance degrades over time/usage. Granted, this is highly unscientific, but hopefully of some value.

Attachments

• 20130126_170239.jpg
    20130126_170239.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom