API Testing Products - A Few Bargains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm back, with a few more links to deals on API water testing products. Please be advised that shipping charges may apply.

API Freshwater/Saltwater Professional Kit: (Amazon.com) $76.64, down from $98.99. Wow, this is like the mother of all water testing kits - it even comes in its own toolbox! From Amazon: For the professional aquarist and for in-store testing of tap water and aquarium water. Sturdy, waterproof box includes fast, easy and accurate test solutions for pH, high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, GH and KH. Includes FREE color wallchart and riveted color cards. I noticed that nitrAte was not listed; there are 9 bottles in the kit, which would correspond to ammonia (2), nitrite (1), nitrate (2), pH (1), high pH (1), KH (1), GH (1) - but I don't know if KH and GH are two-bottle tests. So, just be aware of that.

API Master Test Kit - Freshwater (Pet Mountain.com) $23.05 down from $32.99. The Saltwater Kit is $16.45, down from $31.99, and the Reefmaster Kit is $20.84, down from $39.99.

API Master Test Kit - Freshwater (Big Al's Online) is $21.89, and the Saltwater Kit is $16.99. Big Al's has a lot of API testing supplies, including the individual testing replacement bottles (like if you just need the solutions for nitrAtes, etc).

So I tested my DT with the API pH and got areadin gof 8.4, same as for the PWC water. Hmmm, I just got a new meter 2 weeks ago and calibrate it, and it was reading 7.9 (before lights on). I shut it off and moved it the PWC tank and it measure a pH of 8.2, spot on to where it should be. So API using the Saltwater chart showed no difference while the Pinpoint pH monitor shows a major difference.

Someone told me that the API phosphate kit was easy to use, so I bought one yesterday. Well from from .25 to .5 there is a nice color change, but frm 0 to .25 the colors are so close I can't tell the difference. I think it reads 0, but I'm just not sure.

Just my 2 cents worth on these kits.

That's interesting. I personally haven't had any problems (that I know of) with my API kit (I have a freshwater tank), but it's useful to know if others have. I wonder if some kits are better than others for smaller or larger aquariums, depending.

Yea, needless to say, but I was disappointed in both of them. Perhaps my pH kit is outdated, but unlike some manufacturers there is no expiration or mfg date on the bottles,

I have fw tanks too and mine seem to work great *knock on wood* although I haven't tried testing with the lights off. I also don't have any other equipment to test with lol.

You can't really expect great results from a hobbyist kit .....

All tests have an error range. With the hobbyist grade kits, I would expect them to be off by one color square either way. For most of us, getting ball park numbers will suffice. After all, it is not the exact number, but the trend that is important. As long as the test comes out the same every time, you know your parameters are stable. Whether the "real" number is 7.9 or 8.2 for pH is irrelavant.

If you really want accurate result, you will need to calibrate the kit with test solutions, and do serial dilutions. And you will need a $100 Lamotte kit .....
But really, do you need to know if the phosphate is 0.25 or 0.5?

Yea, needless to say, but I was disappointed in both of them. Perhaps my pH kit is outdated, but unlike some manufacturers there is no expiration or mfg date on the bottles,

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of
2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate,
Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and
KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt
Level will last for five years. I would not trust these kits after they
have expired.

Thanks. My Phosphate kit is current and the pH is almostexpired (0407).

And yes the exact numbers absolutley do matter in a reef aquarium. A pH of 7.9 vs 8.2 just before lights out indicates a possible alkalinity problem as well as a pH problem. Therefore most of my kits are Salifert or Lamotte. I bouoght the API pH when my monitor went bad.

Back
Top Bottom