Apistogramma Hongsloi I

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Is Apistogramma Hongsloi I acceptable to be in a community tank? A tank with Discus?

Anybody know of these, very pretty domestic raised...

Is Apistogramma Hongsloi I acceptable to be in a community tank? A tank with Discus?

Anybody know of these, very pretty domestic raised...

Most (if not all) Apistos are acceptable in a community tank. I have kept mine with Angels, Tetras, Corydoras, and the likes. During breeding time (if you can get a breeding pair) they can become territorial but as long as you have some dither fish, it should be fine.

I have never had the Hingsloi I. I'm assuming its the ones from WetSpot on AquaBid haha. I've also never kept Apistos with Discus so I cannot advise you on that either :( sorry.

Thank you, these are from lfs just got them in and I was going to go see them, didn't want to go through the trouble of an 45 min drive each way for no reason!

I had initially been interested in a German Blue Ram or Golden/Longfin Ram perhaps. They are every where around here for reasonable $. So Just thought these were different and worth a drive if they would be good.

It would be for a 72 gal and I probably will get a Discus, already have 15 Cardinals for dither, but don't have it yet. Still learning.

I wouldn't use hongsloi they tend to get pretty aggressive, aside from rams which are most recommended for discus, other options are A. agassizi, A. cacatuoides or Dicrossus filamentosus all 3 are pretty common and reasonably priced. The Dicrossus also tend to school which is pretty neat.

I wouldn't use hongsloi they tend to get pretty aggressive, aside from rams which are most recommended for discus, other options are A. agassizi, A. cacatuoides or Dicrossus filamentosus all 3 are pretty common and reasonably priced. The Dicrossus also tend to school which is pretty neat.

Are they aggressive as a single fish too or is it due to breeding behavior, if you know...

Thank you for the suggestions. I will probably stick with a Ram of some sort. I don't care for cranky/angry fish very much lol! (Or cranky /angry people for that matter! :brows:)

I don't mean this to come across as rude, but where are you getting the information of Hongsloi being aggressive?

Predfan27 said:
I don't mean this to come across as rude, but where are you getting the information of Hongsloi being aggressive?

From over 20 years keeping and breeding dozens of species and color forms of S.A. dwarves. I used the term aggresive in comparison to other readily available species and unlike many others in the genus they are one of a handful of species who's aggression can extend past their own kind that would cause possible life threatening stress to discus. It would be possible however, in a larger tank that was heavily planted and decorated with caves and such and there was a male and 2+ females to keep the attention intraspecific but that would raise the possibility of further aggression if they spawned. I simply suggested some other dwarves that from my experiences do well with discus.

Autumnsky, as a single fish he may be fine but, being a single fish any aggression would certainly be directed toward the discus, also you wouldn't be able to witness the full color displays of these fish. What size tank is it and is it planted fairly heavily?

Thanks Gillie. I would obviously want the Discus to enjoy his home, not live life constantly stressed. That is why I wanted some other peoples thoughts/experiences.

It is a 72G Bowfront heavily planted I have some awesome cave rocks and lots of rocks in general and it will be Eco-Complete and Garnet sand.

I have nice community fish, 15 Cardinals, some Harlequin Rasboras, Cories, glow light tetras, a couple of Black Skirts. Will add more schoolers over time.

It would also be different if is were a species only tank. It is natural for them to want to protect their young.

Thanks Gillie. I would obviously want the Discus to enjoy his home, not live life constantly stressed. That is why I wanted some other peoples thoughts/experiences.

Do I take from that you're planning on getting a single discus? They really need to be kept in a group of 5 or 6 upwards

Well If I do go over to the Discus side, it would be with a small group maybe 5.

Only would be getting 1 Ram.

I meant that "he" as a term of reference in a broad sense. I always make sure the interests of the fish are planned for and they would be in an environment they would do well in.

Also that I may end up individually selecting them, so it could be 1 to start with, how I was thinking "he".

That's why I don't want any fish which would bother them.

Thank you for caring about the fish! I still have some learning to do. My lfs owner is a Discus fan, so he can enlighten me completely, been raising them for about 30 years.

I just got my 72G and wishing for the next size up or the 155G lol. To have more room!

Last edited:
I've had various Apisto,s over the years including the Hongsloi and agree that problems may arise during breeding, my Apisto Panduro pair had to be moved from my 63g tank to their own 20g as they where pestering my adult Firemouth while mating, they are like wasps around the target fish and I would think this would stress the hell out of a discus. The rest of the time there is no problems at all with the Apisto's, the downside of keeping just one is the loss of the amazing mating behaviour and colours of these little fish.

From over 20 years keeping and breeding dozens of species and color forms of S.A. dwarves. I used the term aggresive in comparison to other readily available species and unlike many others in the genus they are one of a handful of species who's aggression can extend past their own kind that would cause possible life threatening stress to discus. It would be possible however, in a larger tank that was heavily planted and decorated with caves and such and there was a male and 2+ females to keep the attention intraspecific but that would raise the possibility of further aggression if they spawned. I simply suggested some other dwarves that from my experiences do well with discus.

Thank you for the clarification :)

I've seen too many people post on here without any prior knowledge or experience with the fish they give advice on. It saddens me when those kind of people tell others what to do; I believe this website should be used as a resource of prior experience, not who can google search the best.

It seems as though next time I have an Apisto question, I know who to come to ;)

Seems you're in great hands Autumn as I know that Scott also has lots of experience also :)

Borderlesscott said:
I've had various Apisto,s over the years including the Hongsloi and agree that problems may arise during breeding, my Apisto Panduro pair had to be moved from my 63g tank to their own 20g as they where pestering my adult Firemouth while mating, they are like wasps around the target fish and I would think this would stress the hell out of a discus. The rest of the time there is no problems at all with the Apisto's, the downside of keeping just one is the loss of the amazing mating behaviour and colours of these little fish.

Those were the first apisto that I learned were not good with discus, I had a 1" pair terrorize 6 full grown discus, they definitely don't play well with others lol

Back
Top Bottom