Apple snail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sieski

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had my snail out today to check him over. My "lovely" child roder her bike straight into my back and I dropped him from 2-2 and half feet. he now has a a crack in his shell. It hasn't come apart and he's still flying around the tank.

Anything I should worry about or will he be fine?

Generally a crack will strengthen up from underneath and not be a problem. But it would be good to ensure the snail has a good source of calcium.

if he is still roaming about the crack might not be too bad. I have mystery snails who occassionally crack their shells without my intervention :). You can do a few things to help them rebuild the shell....something with some extra calcium. A couple options are: 1) a weekend feeder. The outside is mostly calcium. I don't really recommend these as even though they say they don't pollute the water, most do IMO...or you could use a piece of cuttlebone. Be sure it isn't dyed. Leave the bones for a couple days and remove it. You may save it for another occassion should it arrise.
Lastly, you can try feeding it calcium rich foods...such as spinach. I blanch it and the snails love it.

He should mend the crack so long as he has enough calcium in his diet.

calcium rich food is the best idea. in extreme cases its possible to use super glue to mend it.

Back
Top Bottom