Apple Snail problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco1415

Aquarium Advice FINatic
For the past couple months now all my snails have been developing shell problems. I noticed one was really bad today when I saw the Pleco trying to eat it. All my snails are about 6 years old and Have been in the same tank there whole lives. I've tried the cuddle fish bones, special diets, and even calcium supplemented water conditioner but nothing seems to make a difference. I was wondering after today if the problem could be the Pleco after seeing it trying to eat the snail. I believe the one snail that is in really bad shape is on its way out as part of its trap door is broken. I want to prevent this from happening to the others so any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

From what I know about Apple Snails the fact that they have made it 6 years is pretty impressive! I believe the average lifespan is around 3-4 years. So they are most likely just aged and getting a little brittle.

Have you thought about a snail nursing home?

It looks like the trapdoor is falling off the one. Do these things grow back or is he a gonner? He's is moving around the bucket I put him in and eating but I can see his trapdoor looks really bad.

It looks like the trapdoor is falling off the one. Do these things grow back or is he a gonner? He's is moving around the bucket I put him in and eating but I can see his trapdoor looks really bad.

Trapdoors sadly don't grow back, some snail's can survive without their doors only if they get left alone. Sorry :(

55 gallon elephant nose tank.
30 gallon vampire shrimp, green lace shrimp and snails.

Back
Top Bottom