Appreciate some advice....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

44Paps44

Aquarium Advice Activist
Current Setup

Column 56 tank (24Hx18Dx30L)
Aqueon 55/75 filter
Fluvall 300w Heater
Real/Artificial plants
Plenty of hiding places
.25 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
<20 Nitrate
Temp 78 degrees

Stocking:
2 Silver Dollars (4" & 5")
1 Rainbow Shark (4")
1 Half Black Angelfish (3" starting to sprout trailing fins)
1 Gold Gourami (4")
5 Neon Tetras (1")
2 Peppered Cory's (1" & 1.5")
1 Fantail Guppy (1")
1 White Tip Tetra (1")
5 Blue Mickey Mouse (3 1.5" adults, 2 .25" babies)

Going to be rehoming the Silver Dollars now as I know they are not suitable for this tank. In their place I'm looking for some advice on a replacement. Rainbow Shark (Brutus) is exactly that and starting to pick on the smaller Silver with some spirited chases. Someone has been nipping at his rear fin as well. As expected Brutus controls the bottom of the tank and chases (but no nipping) the Platys away too. Leaves the Angel and Tetras alone.

Only hunter in the tank is the Angel actively looking for the Platy fry but they are too quick for him right now. He'll probably sneak up on them at some point. Everyone else ignores them and they swim openly.

Thinking I want to either:
- add another Angel (veil) but heard they can be aggressive toward their own. Any pointers?
- add another Gourami - also heard they can be aggressive toward their own. Pointers?
- add another semi-aggressive fish - wouldn't mind something that would push back a little at the shark every once in a while (Gourami will not stand up to him at all). I know this puts the Neons at risk but they seem to hold their own as a group. Any suggestions?

Thinking i'm looking for a large juvenile (4" minimum) or smaller adult so it doesn't get picked on.

Open to ideas, please share
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402025210.891027.jpg

you need more cories. They like schools of 4, but I settled for 4 and 5(I have 4 emrald and 5 haroldschultzi), and the 11 of them school together. Aside from that, get some mollies to go with your platys, or more platys. I find them amusing to watch, like eager puppies(my cories act much the same)

Thanks Patrick.

Love my Cory's and am aware they will need some friends to join them at some point for them to be happy. But honestly i don't get a ton of joy from watching them. They aren't a priority for me right with losing two significant top dwellers as the Silver Dollars. Thinking I'd like to add another top dweller as a replacement for now. If something should happen to the Neons or Platy fry then adding more Cory's (probably Albino or similar) is my plan. Any suggestions on a top dweller like can add with minimal issue?

Maybe look into another angelfish. Once they get bigger, they will seem a it more substantial, and you could get away with fewer fish?

"- add another semi-aggressive fish - wouldn't mind something that would push back a little at the shark every once in a while (Gourami will not stand up to him at all). I know this puts the Neons at risk but they seem to hold their own as a group. Any suggestions?"

On a random note, I have a redfin black shark, and he is only aggresive towards the tiger barbs. I think they act as a lightning rod that keeps my cories and mollies out of his field of awareness.

I can see that. The Platy's were taking the brunt of Brutus' aggression once he got to about 3 inches in length. Below 3 inches and he would only chase the Gourami. Seems they've made peace now (well the Gourami gave up and shows absolutely no aggression when Brutus is moving and will only move the Silver's out of the way occassionally).

I think I'm leaning toward adding another Angel for now. Likely a small adult Veil. Heard that they can be aggressive toward their own though so have some hesitation there.

I'd like to go semi-aggressive but not sure what I could add that Brutus would accept.

As far as going semi aggressive goes, the shark isnt the obstacle, its the angelfish. I have and love my tiger barbs and serpae tetras, but with those, and angelfish might as well be a betta-slow with appetizing frilly fins. I dont know a lot about semi aggresive fish beyond those, the rainbow and blackfin sharks, angels and I think gouramis are sometimes lumped in with semi aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom