Appropriate lights for my 2nd tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am stocking my second aquarium which is an Aqueon 14 gallon. It is fully cycled without fish during the cycling.

It will be occupied by glow light tetras, neon tetras, and Mickey Mouse platys. At this time, I don't plan on adding live plants, but have plenty of fake plants and a large piece of mopawni (sp?) wood.

What is the best lighting for this community and can I put that in a hood that says:
20" New "E" Incandescent Aquarium Reflector, 120 volt, 50 watt, 80 hz.

I have no idea what this means in terms of variability of light spectrum.

One of the two lights that came with the tank doesn't work (the bulb). The one that does work casts a very yellowish hue and I don't see it changing much with the second bulb.

Thanks.

If you don't plan on adding plants, any lights that properly show off your fish are fine. It's more of a personal preference at this point. If you are getting the yellow light, you might try switching from incandescent bulbs to a natural daylight florescent (the spiral kind). This makes a huge difference and you won't have to switch the hood as they screw in just the same :)

Back
Top Bottom