Aqua clear 110 or 2 70's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlebitlarisa

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should I get a aqua clear 110 or two 70's for my 46 gallon tank?

Stocking is currently

2 Angel fish
3 blue gourami
1 upside down catfish
1 yoyo loach
5 lemon tetras
1 red eye tetra
1 gold barb
2 pictus
1 clown pleco

However Thursday everyone will be donated to the LFS or moved to another tank but the 2 angels and the clown pleco

I know I want to add a large group of corys and eventually a Bolivian ram or two but other than that I am still unsure.

This is just me but I like the idea of running 2 filters just incase one goes down.

I run 1 penguin 350 and 1 AC 110 on my 75 gallon.

Also just to add, I LOVE the 110.

Thats my thinking too. If one goes out the other should still be able to sustain the tank until I get a new one ordered. My emperor 400 burned out is the whole reason I am ordering another. I had to swap filters all around. Thankfully I had a a tank with a extra filter.

littlebitlarisa said:
Thats my thinking too. If one goes out the other should still be able to sustain the tank until I get a new one ordered. My emperor 400 burned out is the whole reason I am ordering another. I had to swap filters all around. Thankfully I had a a tank with a extra filter.

I'd say go with 2, more filtration is always a good thing and you'll have the peace of mind knowing that if one goes you still have 1 running and if you need a new one you'll have the media from the filter that died out.

Make sense?

Your Filter Equipment Question

Hello little...

Do you really need that much filtration for a 46 G?

I have several 55 Gs and change at least half the tank water every week and just use an AC 50 in those tanks.

I thought large and frequent water changes would replace expensive filtration equipment. By flushing large quantities of clean, treated water through the tank, the filter equipment is just filtering water that's already clean.

Just a thought.

B

I probably don't considering I do weekly water changes and none of my guys are too messy. But I would rather be over filtered than under filtered. If two is to much for my guys than I just have a extra filter for a backup.

littlebitlarisa said:
I probably don't considering I do weekly water changes and none of my guys are too messy. But I would rather be over filtered than under filtered. If two is to much for my guys than I just have a extra filter for a backup.

Back up is the key word here. You don't wanna come home one day and find your filter died out and you have nothing else to use. Go with your plan, you won't be sorry.

:)

Ya, I have 12 tanks running, from 20 to 220 gallons. I use 4 Whisper AP 300 air pumps to run all but the 20 high and 30 long.

Two 70s (600gph) are better than one 110 (500gph).

Better filtration helps with keeping your water cleaner, but pwc (I recommend 50%) is always needed to get rid of all the dissolved waste that the filter cannot pick up.

I have a 55 gallon with cichlids in it. I use the aquaclear 110 and it works phenomenally. Two 70s would be without a doubt better, but not sure that it is exactly necessary.

I just got them in today. I have one hooked up to the 46 gallon and it is sooo quiet! I love it. My only problem is I cannot fit the old filters into it to reseed the bb. Any suggestions on how to do this.

I currently have

46 bowfront
1 penguine 350
1 aquaclear 70(new one)

29 gallon
Aquon 30(belongs on the empty 15 gallon

15 gallon
small Aqua-tec(spare filter for quarantine tank)

My original plan was to move the penguin 350 back over to the 29 gallon and leave the two AC 70's on the 46. I want the aquon 30 back on the 15 and the small aquatec on the 29 to keep the bb in it good.

Any sugestions on how to do the swap without getting mini cycles? The 29 and 15 are newly cycled tanks.

Also with all this filtration do I still need to have air pumps/bubble wands going? They seem to be most of the noise I am noticing.

I have two 15 inch air stone bars in my 55 gallon. And a petco dual port pump. Quite quiet :)

Back
Top Bottom