Aquaclear 110 vs Undersized Fluval Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently, I have an Aquaclear 110 for my 90 gallon tank. Would something like a Fluval 206 be an adequate replacement? I heard the canisters are superior in filtration.

Can I get an undersized canister or do I have to get one that is rated for my tank?

Typically I would go by gallons per hour. You want between 4 and 10 times the amount of the water in the tank going through the filter per hour. So at least 360 gph on the canister filter? Then go for it.

Do I have to worry about the size limits on the box?

Nah, just go for at least 4x the tank size in gph. Higher never hurts though; my 20 gallon schistura tank has a filter with 330 gph! (of course, schistura love high current)

No fish ever died because the water was too clean. I wouldn't recommend using anything undersized. If budget is a concern, Sunsun makes a great filter for $85.00 or so on ebay. I have one it works well.

I also have 2 eheim 2217's on the same tank. The Sunsun is a good filters, the eheim's are great.

Keep in mind that cansisters are rated based on the GPH of the pump, not the GPH of the filter. Typically the filter + media reduces GPH by 50% so consider that.

Back to the original question, a Fluval 206 would be woefully inadequate for a 90g tank and significantly less filtration than an AC110.

Back
Top Bottom