Aquaclear 50, Fluval C3, Emperor 400, or Penguin 350?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need a filter as soon as possible because I really need to move my fish to a new tank, but I need to cycle it first, and I can't cycle it without a filter. But I need help deciding on a new filter.

I mostly want the Fluval C3, but it isn't sold at my Petsmart. And I need to call 3 local fish stores to see if they hopefully have it (sadly lfs are closed on Sundays, and I'm too busy to go that far during the rest of the week, but I can go on Saturday afternoons). I don't want to buy it online, because the shipping always makes it more expensive, and I'm worried about the bangs it my get during shipping, possibly making it get damaged. But I read it's the best filter currently out there today, so I'm very interested.

But if I'm unable to get the Fluval C3, I'm willing to get either the all-famous Aquaclear 50, the Marinlend Emperor 400, or the Marineland Penguin 350.

The Aquaclear 50, I'm considering it, because everyone keeps recommending it. So it has to be good.

The Emperor 400, I'm considering it, because it has double waterfalls, so it oxigenates the tank more, which I really need. And it has more gph.

The Penguin 350, I'm considering it, because it also has double waterfalls, and I very much need the extra oxygen. The gph is less than the Emperor, but it is supposedly quieter than the Emperor. It's also the cheapest filter of the 4.

What is your opinion?

I would do either the C3 or the AC50 because of the media flexibility you would get. Of the two, I would take the AC50 due to the value. You are getting more flow at a lower price point.

The bio-wheels are more of a gimmick than anything else.

I would do either the C3 or the AC50 because of the media flexibility you would get. Of the two, I would take the AC50 due to the value. You are getting more flow at a lower price point.

Yuuupppppp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks! I just thought of a way to oxygenate the water with the AC. I'll just buy 2 AC20. It'll be much more expensive, but it'll be very useful. (I honestly do have an oxygen problem with my high temperatures). I don't think I can do this with the Fluval C though, because they are way too expensive. I don't want to go over 55$.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410727258.574194.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410727267.424629.jpg

If you sign up for prime you get it free for 30 days. Prime gives you free shipping on selected items and as shown in the pics both those filters qualify.

Petco has the ac 30s on sale right now for $29.99. I just bought on an hour ago. Ditch the carbon and throw 2 more bio bags in each and your good to go.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Petco has the ac 30s on sale right now for $29.99. I just bought on an hour ago. Ditch the carbon and throw 2 more bio bags in each and your good to go.

REALLY? I hope they're still on sale next Saturday or Sunday.

Prime is $100 a year after the first month. Even without a prime membership I think those still qualify for free shipping (over $25).

Yes it's 100 for the year, but all you do is cancel before the 30 days is up. That's what I did. I ordered couple canister filters, various media for my other filters and a few wave makers. All free shipping which took 2 days to arrive.

Prime is $100 a year after the first month. Even without a prime membership I think those still qualify for free shipping (over $25).
Oh, I guess in a year that isn't a lot. (Terrible with money XD) I will check that out and see.

Yes it's 100 for the year, but all you do is cancel before the 30 days is up. That's what I did. I ordered couple canister filters, various media for my other filters and a few wave makers. All free shipping which took 2 days to arrive.
WOW! Good idea!

I bought the Aquaclear 50 because it was at Petsmart for 21$, much less than the AC 30 ironically. So I had to have it. XD I wanted 2 filters for extra oxygenation, but what I'm going to do is just put a cheap filter next to the AC, like the Top Fin I already have. That should do the trick. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! It helped a ton.

I bought the Aquaclear 50 because it was at Petsmart for 21$, much less than the AC 30 ironically. So I had to have it. XD I wanted 2 filters for extra oxygenation, but what I'm going to do is just put a cheap filter next to the AC, like the Top Fin I already have. That should do the trick. Thanks everyone for all your suggestions! It helped a ton.

Was that a clearance at you petsmart or is that a sale going on. It kills me I just got the 30 for $29.

Was that a clearance at you petsmart or is that a sale going on. It kills me I just got the 30 for $29.

I really don't know, it kind of looked like a pricing mistake. There was no sign of a sale or clearance anywhere around the filter. I even asked an employee, and she was surprised too. She didn't know why it was so cheap either.

When I upgraded my filters I debated on the aquaclear 50 and the fluval C3 and C4 and ended up going with dual C4's. The price difference for buying two was only 20 bucks canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

When I upgraded my filters I debated on the aquaclear 50 and the fluval C3 and C4 and ended up going with dual C4's. The price difference for buying two was only 20 bucks canadian.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Not too bad I guess. But finding Fluval C's is a little hard for me, unless I buy online. But it's more expensive online, and a lot of the times they don't ship to my country. So I'm going to stick with AC. Maybe someday in the future, Fluval C's will be sold here, and I can buy one, if I need it.

Back
Top Bottom