aquaclear filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My filter is shooting the water straight down instead of across like if I have it on the low setting. Every time I clean it, it works fine but now it's working like if I have it on the low setting unless I clean it but I have to do it like every three days. Any help? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110927_142708.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110927_142708.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 84
Your Aquaclear Power Filter

Hello fish...

How much filter media do you have in there? If you're doing 50 percent water changes every week, you don't need a lot of media in the filter. The reason is, there won't be anything in the tank to clog the filter.

I use filter pads from a company called HBH. They're easy and reuseable.

B

fishdud said:
My filter is shooting the water straight down instead of across like if I have it on the low setting. Every time I clean it, it works fine but now it's working like if I have it on the low setting unless I clean it but I have to do it like every three days. Any help? Sorry if it sounds confusing.

Make sure your intake tube is in the right place. A lot of times my intake tube (I have an aquaclear too) gets pushed up somehow, and it reduces the flow...

BBradbury said:
Hello fish...

How much filter media do you have in there? If you're doing 50 percent water changes every week, you don't need a lot of media in the filter. The reason is, there won't be anything in the tank to clog the filter.

I use filter pads from a company called HBH. They're easy and reuseable.

B

I just have the bio media, poly fil, and the sponge.

maxwellag said:
Make sure your intake tube is in the right place. A lot of times my intake tube (I have an aquaclear too) gets pushed up somehow, and it reduces the flow...

Ha I'm pretty sure it's on there right

I do water changes every Thursday. There seemed to be gunk on the bottom of the sponge, how do you clean the tube that sets the flow? It's hard to get something up there and bend to clean it.

fishdud said:
I do water changes every Thursday. There seemed to be gunk on the bottom of the sponge, how do you clean the tube that sets the flow? It's hard to get something up there and bend to clean it.

Pipe cleaners will help IMMENSELY with that.

Don't have a pipe cleaner so I just left it like that..

Deckape said:
I have a baby bottle cleaner. Is your filter level?

Try pouring a couple of cups of tank water in the filter. From the pic, it appears that it isn't primed. Could be wrong, but from the picture it looks like the tube isn't full of water

Could be the sponge, is the sponge really necessary?

fishdud said:
Could be the sponge, is the sponge really necessary?

Yea, but you could temporary remove it and test. Keep.the sponge wet, alot of beneficial bacteria lives in there.

what size aquaclear do you have and on what size tank?
Flow will slow down as the sponge gets clogged, this means it is doing its job catching gunk. You can rinse the sponge in old tank water every week to clear the gunk out. If your sponge is clogging to quickly after cleaning it, then you probably don't have enough mechanical filtration for your tank. For example, your fish my be producing too much waist for that filter, and you may need to either add a second filter, or get a bigger filter.
Also clean the intake tube with whatever you can use to 'get up in there'. They make cleaners specifically for filter tubes, but it is cheaper to buy a baby bottle brush, that's what I use. You only have to clear the filter tubes if they are clogged, algae growing in the filter tubes won't really hurt anything and is probably good for biological filtration.

Hope this helps! :)

ashleynicole said:
what size aquaclear do you have and on what size tank?
Flow will slow down as the sponge gets clogged, this means it is doing its job catching gunk. You can rinse the sponge in old tank water every week to clear the gunk out. If your sponge is clogging to quickly after cleaning it, then you probably don't have enough mechanical filtration for your tank. For example, your fish my be producing too much waist for that filter, and you may need to either add a second filter, or get a bigger filter.
Also clean the intake tube with whatever you can use to 'get up in there'. They make cleaners specifically for filter tubes, but it is cheaper to buy a baby bottle brush, that's what I use. You only have to clear the filter tubes if they are clogged, algae growing in the filter tubes won't really hurt anything and is probably good for biological filtration.

Hope this helps! :)

It's a size 30 for a 36g bowfront and yeah the sponge gets really gunked up but I have two filters running. The other is the aqueon.

It's a size 30 for a 36g bowfront and yeah the sponge gets really gunked up but I have two filters running. The other is the aqueon.

Sounds like you found the problem. I have an aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon and it seems adequate. I am not sure but I have not heard good reviews regarding the aqueon filters. From my experience and what I have heard, the aquaclear seems to be superior to most HOB filters. When I had a 55 gallon I used to run TWO aquaclear 70's on in.

ashleynicole said:
Sounds like you found the problem. I have an aquaclear 50 on my 29 gallon and it seems adequate. I am not sure but I have not heard good reviews regarding the aqueon filters. From my experience and what I have heard, the aquaclear seems to be superior to most HOB filters. When I had a 55 gallon I used to run TWO aquaclear 70's on in.

Yeah I only have the aqueon on when I need extra help to clean the water. So actually I just leave the aqueon off cause it makes lots of bubbles and don't want it to off gas the co2. And I leave it on at night sometimes to help with oxygen cause of all the bubbles. Think I may just buy a new sponge or just replace it with poly fil

Yeah I only have the aqueon on when I need extra help to clean the water. So actually I just leave the aqueon off cause it makes lots of bubbles and don't want it to off gas the co2. And I leave it on at night sometimes to help with oxygen cause of all the bubbles. Think I may just buy a new sponge or just replace it with poly fil

I would highly recommend you buy a second aquaclear or leave the aqueon on all the time. An aquaclear 30 is not adequeat by it self for a 36 gallon tank. Buying a new sponge or changing the filter media isn't going to make a difference. It is going to clog just as fast because you need more filtration.

You can buy the aqua clear filters pretty cheap on Amazon.

I've had this set up for a long time, this is the first time it's happened.

ashleynicole said:
I would highly recommend you buy a second aquaclear or leave the aqueon on all the time. An aquaclear 30 is not adequeat by it self for a 36 gallon tank. Buying a new sponge or changing the filter media isn't going to make a difference. It is going to clog just as fast because you need more filtration.

You can buy the aqua clear filters pretty cheap on Amazon.

That is good advice. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom