Aquaclear filter quit, mini cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbarb27

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi -

I'm running an aqua clear 30 filter on a 10 gallon tank. Stock is 6 white cloud minnows with abundant, very tiny fry and lots of low light plants.

The filter has been tempermental and slow to re-start after PCWs for several weeks, despite cleaning the impeller and mechanism well. I awoke to a dead filter yesterday morning and a dry bag of biomedia. I'm assuming all of my bb colonies are dead, although the sponges were still slightly damp.

I ordered a new AQ filter for the 10 gallon and did a big PWC last night and another this morning as ammonia was already between .50 and 1.0. Water changes take forever because I keep having to hunt for and return fry to the tank, so I'm dreading weeks of daily PWCs.The fry are like tiny slivers of glass with eyes and very hard to see.

Here's my dilemna:

About a month ago I purchased aqua clear 20's for 2 6.6 gal betta tanks that came with crummy HOB filters. I've been running the aqua clears in tandem with the crummy filters with plans to ditch the junky filters this month. Both of the betta tanks had mini cycles in July when the crummy filters quit after a power outage, leading to fin rot for the bettas. Both bettas are finally healthy again, so I'm reluctant to disrupt their tanks much.

Should I move the bio media from one or both of the betta tanks to the new aqua clear filter in the 10 gallon to help cycle it (leaving the crummy HOB filters still on the betta tanks) or should I just continue to do a fish in cycle in the 10 gallon and try not to destroy the fry in the process?

Sorry this got long

Maybe try taking some biomedia from each betta tank to seed with.

Back
Top Bottom