Aquaclear filters good or not.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait54

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Bought a 10g kit and I hate the filter it came with I have heard a lot of good things about Aquaclear filters and was wondering if any one has used it and would recommend it or not. Thank you

If so I'll probably get the aquaclear 20.

I will only have a Betta 2 snails and a dwarf crayfish.

Sharkbait54 said:
I Bought a 10g kit and I hate the filter it came with I have heard a lot of good things about Aquaclear filters and was wondering if any one has used it and would recommend it or not. Thank you

If so I'll probably get the aquaclear 20.

I will only have a Betta 2 snails and a dwarf crayfish.

Aquaclears are arguably the best filters. I would recommend the ac-30 for a ten gallon, because I have one on mine and I think its perfect.

Aquaclear is the best HOB filter, I am running two 50's on my 29 gallon. ( I always over filter :D)

the general concensus is that Aquaclear filters are the all-round best HOB filter on the market.
quiet, completely customizable, powerful and efficient.

Aquaclears are great.

I've had my current 110 for going on 8 months now, and it was only a few weeks ago that I had to replace the impeller shaft due to damage from sand. (My fish love to kick it up)

My next tank will probably have two 110's on it.

I have got an Aquaclear 50 powerhead that works like a treat. I use it for reverse UGF.

As stated above, the general consensus is Aquaclears are the best. PERSONALLY, I don't like them. That's only because I bought one a few years ago to replace the piece of garbage Tetra thing that was on my ten gallon. It was the noisiest thing in my house. I could hear it (motor noise not splash) in the next room while gaming on my PC (which sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full tilt boogie). Maybe I just got a bad one? Don't know as I replaced it that same day with a Marineland Penguin. Now that is quite. Also currently have a Penguin on my 37 gallon. Penguins tend to get a bad rap for impeller design but I have never had any trouble with them.

Aquaclear are the quietest filters I've ever used. I had a 70 that lasted me 4 years till I stepped on it and cracked the case.

I have three AC filters and all are dead quite. There have been times I had to look to make sure they were even running. I don't think you will find a HOB filter that has more media capacity or ability to be customized. Mine are all 7+ years old and still working like the day I bought them.

As stated above, the general consensus is Aquaclears are the best. PERSONALLY, I don't like them. That's only because I bought one a few years ago to replace the piece of garbage Tetra thing that was on my ten gallon. It was the noisiest thing in my house. I could hear it (motor noise not splash) in the next room while gaming on my PC (which sounds like a vacuum cleaner at full tilt boogie). Maybe I just got a bad one? Don't know as I replaced it that same day with a Marineland Penguin. Now that is quite. Also currently have a Penguin on my 37 gallon. Penguins tend to get a bad rap for impeller design but I have never had any trouble with them.

Maybe it wasn't leveled, or perhaps there was something stuck in the impeller?

ashleynicole said:
Maybe it wasn't leveled, or perhaps there was something stuck in the impeller?

Quite possible. At the time I tried everything to get it to be quiet as I did not want to go all the way back to the LFS to return it. I really liked the design and the options available for customizing. Alas, nothing I did worked so it went back. Since found that Penguins are very customizable also as they have two slots for filter media and a bag of bio-rings and carbon mix fits nicely between a filter pad in slot one and the bio-wheel.

Hey! I know an ashleynicole in Florida. Likely not the same person though. :)

Between all my tanks I have aqua clear, Marineland, Fluval and an aqua top that are all very good filters IMO, I can't honestly say one is better than any of the others or more noisy. They all seem to do a good job and haven't had any issues with any of them however one thing I like about the Aquatop is the skimmer on the top! :)

I love my AquaClear 70 and Fluval C4 (also made by Hagen, a lot like the AC70 but has a wet/dry trickle system for the biological media).

xXNirvana69Xx said:
I love my AquaClear 70 and Fluval C4 (also made by Hagen, a lot like the AC70 but has a wet/dry trickle system for the biological media).

The c4 is pretty cool too, but is there still room to customize media? It looks like it uses all the space with the wet dry filter... and in the c series its weird how their largest on only has 264gph

xXNirvana69Xx said:

Yeah! I have the Fluval C4 also seems to work pretty good! :)

The c4 is pretty cool too, but is there still room to customize media? It looks like it uses all the space with the wet dry filter... and in the c series its weird how their largest on only has 264gph

It might have a little less customization than the AC70 but I still love it. If you don't use carbon that frees up a media tray to use for floss or something else. I suppose you could use filter floss instead of the large double sided pad too.

Back
Top Bottom