Aquaclear help FAST!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My filter is only trickling. Its not putting through a full stream. There seems to be an air bubble in the bend of the pipe.

I've already tried cleaning the impeller!

Any help is appreciated!

edit- my fish have started gasping at the surface.

Replaced polyfill - no effect.

Turn is off, empty water, clean sponge. Put back into place, fill with water and turn on.

Tried that- no effect. I then thoroughly cleaned out the pipes - no effect. Took out the pipe again, emptied water, put back in place, works.

It was the stupid air pocket!

Fixed- mod can close.

Tried that- no effect. I then thoroughly cleaned out the pipes - no effect. Took out the pipe again, emptied water, put back in place, works.

It was the stupid air pocket!

Fixed- mod can close.

Next time try switching the speed high and low and see if that helps. I will always have air pockets in mine until I switch between the 2 a few times and maybe even push down alityke on the intake pipe.

Next time try switching the speed high and low and see if that helps. I will always have air pockets in mine until I switch between the 2 a few times and maybe even push down alityke on the intake pipe.

I tried that. The water level would just sink rapidly.

I tried that. The water level would just sink rapidly.

Don't mean to continue this, but the same thing happened to one of my AC filters last week. Shut both off and only one restarted. Removed the intake tube and tapped the impeller and it started back up. Has not happened again since after stopping and starting it repeatedly. Perhaps it's time to clean the impeller.

I had a similar issue a while back. It lost suction somehow. I emptied it and fill the filte halfway to force the siphon to work a little harder then slowly added water. Pulled the water in slowly but surely and haven't had an issue since. Seems when power goes off they do not always like to start up again which is quite annoying. My aqueon always starts right up WOF.

Does anyone know how to take out the motor without dumping water everywere

You need to remove the intake tube and filter media then dump out any remaining water first.
Turning the motor about 90 degrees (can't remember if its clockwise or counter clockwise) and it should separate from the plastic filter housing. Removing the motor while the filter has water will result in a mess because there is a seal present where they connect.

I have a Whisper and an Aquaclear filter that has done this. You need to clean the motor. It gets gunk build up and will not turn the impeller efficiently. Unplug the filter, take out media, turn the filter upside down over the tank to empty, grab the motor and twist clockwise and pull. It will come off. Take a q tip and clean the inside of the motor. Make sure to clean the groove in the motor housing. Rinse it well to make sure all the gunk is out. Then put a little Vaseline on the rubber seal. Be careful when putting the motor back on because the rubber seal ring can pinch and cause to not seal properly. It may take a few times to get it seated right. It is a good idea to add a little water to the filter before re installing it to make sure you do not have a leak. Then put everything back together and prime with treated water. It should start right up. If there is air trapped in the impeller housing just raise the impeller shaft up and down a few times and it will get rid of it.

Fwiw, if those seal rings are in fact made of solid rubber, then using Vaseline on them will cause them to deteriorate more quickly. You can buy new O rings fairly cheaply.

Any petroleum based product will rot any pure rubber product. If it's a synthetic O ring, then Vaseline is ok as a lube.

Back
Top Bottom