Aquaeon or Marineland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Indeed, the AquaClears are very quiet...so are the Aqueons, but a bit more noisy as compared to the AquaClears because of their final stage with water coming through the "bio bar" for oxygenation and polishing...though not annoyingly so...

In my setup, I have a unique situation in that bubbles from my two 18" bars are causing the AquaClear 110 to suck them in, creating a NASTY "box of rocks" noise from the filter because of the grinding the motor is doing to the bubbles, thus causing microbubbles and it's REALLY annoying...

This is the price I pay for keeping the bars, though, and right under the intake -- even though I have been told this is going to eventually burn out my rotors and motors...

I've been trying to figure out why my aqueon started doing this after adding the bubble bar, getting the micro bubbles too. Good to know!

Coyne, I've had all four haha, guess I've been 'round the block haha. I agree with everything you're saying, but give your AC a couple more weeks before you judge the noise level, they need a little biofilm on their impellers to quiet things up. I HATED my AC for the first three weeks because of noise, almost made it to the trash can, but now its completely silent.

True that the c series doesn't have a model comparable to the Fluval AC110, but it does go up to a c4 which filters up to 75 gallons I believe, and in my experience, my opinion between the c series and AC, is c series all the way without a doubt, but the AC is definitely a solid 2nd place far above the others. The only reason why I don't use my c3 anymore is because the two closest LFS to me refuse to sell the media for some reason.

Also, between the old aquaclears and the new fluval AC series, the only difference is the name. Media and media baskets are the same and is interchangeable between the two

It's the upgrade to the aquaclear.

What do you mean?

Aquaclear has 3 stages of filtration
And
The fluval has 5 stages and more area for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Also when the foam filtration needs cleaning a little red piece of plastic pops up!

Well, the piece of red plastic popping up is worth the price of admission alone, IMO! Every filter should have this; I believe the Tetra EXs have a tab that pops up too when the cartridges need replacing...

I've been trying to figure out why my aqueon started doing this after adding the bubble bar, getting the micro bubbles too. Good to know!

Are you referring to the AQUEON'S "bio bar" that sits on the lip of the water return, or actual BUBBLE BARS that put out bubble walls?

If you're referring to the bubble BARS putting out bubbles which are then sucked into the filter's intake and cause that "grinding" noise, then yes, this is because bubbles are being sucked into the filter...I HATE it, but I can't arrange my bars any other way...:banghead:

True that the c series doesn't have a model comparable to the Fluval AC110, but it does go up to a c4 which filters up to 75 gallons I believe, and in my experience, my opinion between the c series and AC, is c series all the way without a doubt, but the AC is definitely a solid 2nd place far above the others. The only reason why I don't use my c3 anymore is because the two closest LFS to me refuse to sell the media for some reason.

Yes, that's true...the largest Fluval "C" series HOB is the C4 which is good for 75 gallons...so if someone wanted to run these on a larger tank, they'd have to hang multiple ones on it...

Also, between the old aquaclears and the new fluval AC series, the only difference is the name. Media and media baskets are the same and is interchangeable between the two

Are you sure? Seems like the "sponges" are a bit different between the two, though I believe the BioMax is the same...

i've had numerous aqueon products fail on me, so I'm against them. I have two marineland filters on my discus tank, one on my angelfish tank, and one each on two other tanks. three of them are bio-wheels and they are super quiet. Never had to fix them, they are always turning, never any issues at all. I've never had a fluval, but I've heard great things as far as their canister filters.

Are you sure? Seems like the "sponges" are a bit different between the two, though I believe the BioMax is the same...
When I go to the store I don't search for specifically the new Fluval AC media, I have used the old AC sponges and the new AC sponges in mine

Yup the bubbles were going up into the intake. I turned the bubbles off & it stopped. I'm glad I stopped to lurk this thread I was about ready to take it apart again lol

I got a used marineland hang on canister filter & I love it. It cleared my water up within minutes of turning it on for the first time. It was used so the return hose was broke off but had a peice of tubing that fit it perfect. It has a strong current if not under the water level though.

So if I was to go with a Fluval HOB for my 55g, which one(s) would I need to get my hands on. I like the idea of 5 stage filtration.

So if I was to go with a Fluval HOB for my 55g, which one(s) would I need to get my hands on. I like the idea of 5 stage filtration.

The C4 is rated as plenty for your tank, or if you want the fluval AC get the AC70. Or if you need extra flow get the AC110 or 2 C4s

i've had numerous aqueon products fail on me, so I'm against them. I have two marineland filters on my discus tank, one on my angelfish tank, and one each on two other tanks. three of them are bio-wheels and they are super quiet. Never had to fix them, they are always turning, never any issues at all. I've never had a fluval, but I've heard great things as far as their canister filters.

Well, as I said, I was only going by what I had read and heard about Marineland filters with the BioWheels; I, for one, never had any Aqueon product fail on me...so everyone's mileage may vary. These ARE mechanical devices, after all, and like all mechanical devices, no matter the price point -- just see the list of complaints from Ferrari or Jaguar owners online, taking out of the equation that Jaguar was run by Ford for some time... -- things are going to break and break down...

Very true. Maybe the petsmart here gets bad batches all the time. Marinelsnd FTW

My Marineland aquarium seems to be holding up quite well thus far, though it's super new so we'll have to see...but I concur that someone in the market for an HOB should get either an AquaClear or Aqueon and be done with it...(y)

I have two marineland aquariums and they are great. I am just not a fan of most of their equipment. My biowheel filter is insanely loud, the wheel is stuck, and replacement catridges are at least $5 more per pack than any other filter.

Yeah, my Marineland 60 seems to be holding up nicely and it seems to be very nicely built...this thing was HEAVY without water...:eek: :blink:

As for the filters, I have heard pretty much nothing but horror stories about them, though I have no personal experience with them; for my money, I'm gonna stick with Aqueon and AquaClear...

Back
Top Bottom