Aquaeon or Marineland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buckfins

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok y'all...I am about to set up another tank and someone told me to go with Aquaeon over the Marineland Bio-wheel. Any opinions on which is better?:confused:

I have the Bio-Wheel 200 and a friend of mine has the Aquaeon....i can say they are about the same to me i think....cept one has a bio wheel lol it stops from time to time but when i do a water change i swish it in the old tank water and it works fine again for about a 3 or so weeks.

i like mine since it has a longer intake tube and has the option of having a low intake and a switch/opener type thing to allow mid level filtration as well.

All in all i don't think you can go wrong with either....they are roughly the same size and both have very close to the same flow...both of ours are going strong tho its only been a few months.

One cool thing about the aqueon is they have a built in wet dry filtration mechanism that also helps with bio filtration and it polishes the water but i don't believe you can go wrong with either filter. Another filter i like that is HOB is the Hagen Aquea Clear filter

biowheel, +1 for the extended intake. other filters, although great in filtration, doesn't provide the range that's needed to get to the debris on the bottom

The fluval c series has everything the ACs do, everything the quiet flows do, and filters better than bio wheels, and has an extendable intake. Just something to look into

NYgiants....20g for my home office. Going to be planted with about 10-12 fish. Probably my 2 gouramis from my other tank and about 7-8 tiger barbs and the rest will be the cleaning crew.

NYgiants....20g for my home office. Going to be planted with about 10-12 fish. Probably my 2 gouramis from my other tank and about 7-8 tiger barbs and the rest will be the cleaning crew.

I wouldn't mix tiger barbs with gouramis, I think you'd be better off with maybe a cherry barb or gold barb

Guys,

I believe the proper spelling of one of the filters in question is AQUEON...(y)

I can just give some personal insight and sentiment; I have heard -- without the benefit of personal experience -- that the Marineland HOBs are more "hype" than anything, and that the BioWheels are constantly needing maintenance, etc. Again, this is just going by what I have been told personally by shop owners and friends and what I have read -- now with regard to the Aqueon QuietFlows, I have been running a 55 model on two different 60 gallons for some years now, and also ran a 20 model on a 10 gallon and to me, they are a great HOB...though they do require the regular changing of the carbon cartridges (a debate all on its own) or constant rinsing of them. The WATER these things move, however, with their "in water" pump designs, is INCREDIBLE -- they create a powerful rift across the surface of the water and really move it.

That's not to say the Hagen AquaClears don't do the same -- the waterfall return of my other HOB on the 60 gallon goldfish tank, an AquaClear 110, dumps a TON of water upon return even on its LOWEST flow setting (actually kind of annoying). I think you can't go wrong with an Aqueon or AquaClear.

The FLUVAL filters are also made by HAGEN, who make the AQUACLEARS, just to clarify that; in fact, the AquaClears are now ALL being called "Fluval" as a marketing campaign shift by Hagen...some boxes even say "formerly AquaClear"...

I have a bio wheel and its okay but it blows out white bubbles

I'm switching to the fluval c3

Fluval C series Power Filter
Amazon.com: Fluval C3 Power Filter: Pet Supplies

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Fluvals, and they seem to push out a nice amount of water and flow...this one seems to be good for up to 50 gallons...

They're not dissimilar to the AquaClear designs, just use a bit of different kinds of media inserts it seems...

Good luck with your Fluval.

The only thing, as I understand it, about this line is that Hagen doesn't make one that's comparable to the AquaClear 110 model in terms of size, gallons per hour and tank usage...

IMO the AquaClear series are quiet; the Marineland Penguin biowheel 200 was noisy and the Emperor 280 sounded like a freight train. Maybe slight exaggeration but they were noticeably loud; perhaps new impellers would have helped.

Indeed, the AquaClears are very quiet...so are the Aqueons, but a bit more noisy as compared to the AquaClears because of their final stage with water coming through the "bio bar" for oxygenation and polishing...though not annoyingly so...

In my setup, I have a unique situation in that bubbles from my two 18" bars are causing the AquaClear 110 to suck them in, creating a NASTY "box of rocks" noise from the filter because of the grinding the motor is doing to the bubbles, thus causing microbubbles and it's REALLY annoying...

This is the price I pay for keeping the bars, though, and right under the intake -- even though I have been told this is going to eventually burn out my rotors and motors...

Yeah, I've heard good things about the Fluvals, and they seem to push out a nice amount of water and flow...this one seems to be good for up to 50 gallons...

They're not dissimilar to the AquaClear designs, just use a bit of different kinds of media inserts it seems...

Good luck with your Fluval.

The only thing, as I understand it, about this line is that Hagen doesn't make one that's comparable to the AquaClear 110 model in terms of size, gallons per hour and tank usage...

It's the upgrade to the aquaclear.

Aquaclear has 3 stages of filtration
And
The fluval has 5 stages and more area for beneficial bacteria to grow.

Also when the foam filtration needs cleaning a little red piece of plastic pops up!

Ok, so I have all three... Marineland 350, Aqueon Qf 10 and a Fluval AC 20.

I've had the Marineland for three months. I've never had the bio-wheels stop or stick in this short time, but they do add to the noise factor a bit ( like a quietly turning hamster wheel). As long as I keep the water line from dropping below the outputs it's not super noisy, but it is the loudest of the three. As far as filtration goes... My water is clear and parameters are good and don't fluctuate, that's about all I can ask for.

I've had the Aqueon on my QT for a little over two months. It is by far the quietest of the three. It's essentially silent. If I didn't see water movement, then I wouldn't know it was on. Filtration... Again, clear water and good levels, so no complaints.

I've only had the Fluval for a week as I just started a Fish-less cycle for a crayfish tank. Noise-wise its somewhere between the Aqueon and the Marineland. It offers more versatility than the Aqueon, which I like, but it was also close to twice the price. I feel confident that it will do a fine job with filtration, but its too soon to give an honest opinion.

Bottom line is that they all do the job. It's all up to what's important to you. Silent running? Low AND mid level intakes? Easy change media versatility? Price?

Back
Top Bottom