Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2004, 08:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarist Survives Vicious Tank Cleaning Incident!

*grins*

So I went to water change/gravel vac the 15g tank with the angelfish babies, keyholes, rams and amano shrimp. I have to use my smaller siphon else the Onyx sand all comes up, which means my hands have to be in the tank.

You'd think they have never been fed before! Omg; they ATE me. I had the amanos pulling skin off my knuckles, the angelfish were picking at my moles...and I was hysterical LOL it really made changing that tank VERY difficult. I'm ticklish!

Vicious lil beasties, and they've already BEEN fed once today! I'll have to get a pic next time; it was pretty funny *grin*

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 08:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've found that once the sand gets infiltrated by the good bacterial concrete, It dosn't move that willingly Alli.

I just did water changes on my tanks today, I hover the pythin about an 8th of an inch above the sand. Sucks up all the goop and the sand dosn't even budge.

I bet it was a sight tho, watching someone giggling on the floor as vicious little beasties tickle tortured her. :p

Old 04-17-2004, 08:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
haha, I have that problem with the danios at Wal-Mart. The things pick and pick and pick. It's cool actually, feels kinda funny. Now, an oscar did that to me, and I about fell off the ladder! Not that it hurt, just a little forceful and scary

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Heh, its Onyx sand, not regular sand William. Stuffs clouds as soon as look at it, so I have to be careful with it; its pretty light and doesn't compact like the Moon sand in my other tanks.

And that was the worst part! I had to stand there and take it, else I'd have clouded the entire tank LOL My neighbors probably thought I was being attacked...I guess I was LOL I was so busy yelling.

Heh, its why I let the hubby hand feed the adult angels; I don't want to lose a finger LOL

Old 04-17-2004, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allivymar
Heh, its Onyx sand, not regular sand William. Stuffs clouds as soon as look at it, so I have to be careful with it; its pretty light and doesn't compact like the Moon sand in my other tanks.

And that was the worst part! I had to stand there and take it, else I'd have clouded the entire tank LOL My neighbors probably thought I was being attacked...I guess I was LOL I was so busy yelling.

Heh, its why I let the hubby hand feed the adult angels; I don't want to lose a finger LOL

Irk, didn't notice you said Onyx, thought you were talking about your moon sand. ^_^;;
Old 04-17-2004, 09:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
Tune in next week for--"When babies attack!"

Old 04-17-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL I've been sitting here watching MadTV Shaw; shoulda known you'd be a fan

Old 04-17-2004, 09:23 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I am so glad my fish don't do that

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

My paradise fish tries to suction himself to my wrist on occasion. Sticks out his jaws like fish do when they yawn and attaches like some reject lamprey or something.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:51 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

My tiger barbs bite me every time I put my hand in the tank for any reason! Every so often one of them actually causes a little pain!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:02 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yeah, dude. My amanos totally freaked me out!! I was injecting brine shrimp into my puffer/amano tank so that I could get the brine shrimp to some of the puffers that tend to be at the bottom of the pecking order... And the amanos just sprang at the eye dropper I was using and tried to maul me. Ahhh!!!! Amanos are weird little creatures. Love 'em, though!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL They sure the heck are madasa.

I fed the crew bloodworms tonite and grabbed some pics. The pic I *didn't* get but wish I did, was of one of the amanos duking it out with one of the rams over a piece of bloodworm; the amano won! Kicked the ram's butt LOL I did grab a pic of another amano and one of the fry facing off, as well as the initial feeding frenzy (now you'll see why I was yelling LOL).

Apparently the amanos didn't get the "algae eater" memo LOL they go nuts over everything that I feed the fish and bloodworms are a fav; go figure.

Old 04-18-2004, 01:33 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to glasstapper
thanks for the laugh!!! lol
Old 04-18-2004, 02:17 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

When I still had balloon mollies, they would come nibble. Durring long gravel vacumming sessions it actually got irritating to my skin! Some fish just never think thier stomachs are full and may be trying to go after "the big prize". Can you imagine thier stories of "the one that got away"? "I mean her arm was at least ten times my height!"
Old 04-19-2004, 03:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

That's funny, Allivymar! I especially like the pic of the angelfish and the shrimp on top of the driftwood.

A betta I used to have would nibble on my hand when I did gravel vacs. I wear thin plastic gloves, but I could feel him nibble. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't just a little pinch either!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:07 PM   #16

HA! try cleaning a pond in the middle of the summer with a hundred golfish picking at your legs! now thats freaky!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
hehe..i've had a blue gill bite my nipple once 8O my danios will peck at my arm if i'm rearranging the tank, but it's barely noticeable.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm not sure I wanna know what a bluegill was doing near your nekkid chest Mr Burns

Tags
clean, cleaning, tan, tank cleaning

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com