Aquarium bio balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was thinking of getting some bio balls for my filter and put them where I used to put my active carbon

What's is your opinion? Are they a good thing to have?

Thanks

They're fine, but there are products now that give you more surface area, which means more beneficial bacteria. Breaking up some lava rock and putting it in a media bag would outperform the bio-balls, I bet.

They're fine, but there are products now that give you more surface area, which means more beneficial bacteria. Breaking up some lava rock and putting it in a media bag would outperform the bio-balls, I bet.
I am a lava rock fan. Hard to beat a AC sponge.

At the moment I have 4 sponges and 2 trays of ceramic balls in them would I need to add at lava rock or not really?

Also I have heard that lava rock can change the ph and if stuff builds up in them they are are toxin to fish?

I would just add more sponge. The mineral in lava can vary so I am not surprised it could impact ph. But I have never heard about a toxic build up. I would expect some lava might have toxic metals so I always soak mine with snail test pilots before adding to a tank.

Either Purigen or if you want great bio media get Sera siporax pro. Best stuff out there. Look at the you tube videos for it to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks guys I appreciate it! I will defo check it out!
I was just wondering would defo need another tray of bio media? As I have already got 2 and 4 sponges?

I don't know if more is actually better

Thanks guys I appreciate it! I will defo check it out!
I was just wondering would defo need another tray of bio media? As I have already got 2 and 4 sponges?

I don't know if more is actually better

I feel that you should have plenty but you know your tank more than anyone else. If wouldn't hurt anything but at the same time may not really benefit. Keep in mind you can have all the bio media in the world but your BB colonies will only ever be as much as there is stuff for them to consume. Make sense? So if you had miles of BB houses only 1/10 may ever be filled with BB colonies due to not enough load.

Back
Top Bottom