aquarium decorations leeching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a 46gal bowfront and wanted to have a fun themed tank so I got a tiki hut and palm tree to rice out my tank. All was well and then I got diatoms again. (I had them bad from silica based pfs last time. I have since replaced the pfs with tahitian moon sand which will not leech. The only other place I could think the diatoms would come from would be the aquairum decs or the plastic plants I have. I'm leaning toward the decorations, is there anything that can be done to prevent the leeching of the silica from the decorations?

I think its one of those things that you just have to clean and eventually it will clear up on its own.

How long has the tank been set up? Diatoms is normal in a new tank. Heck, I still get it in my 55 gal tank 2 years later.

I had diatoms covering a big portion of my substrate, my filter intake and output, and some plants for the first few weeks I had my tank setup. I purchased two golden algae eaters (which i believe are chinese algae eaters) and all the diatoms were gone within two days. I have not seen diatoms in my tank since. These fish are fun to watch and I enjoy having them in my tank. Just a suggestion. :)

I've had diatoms for like a year now, I just wipe it off when it builds up, you can buy silica removing products to put in your filter, I'm not sure how good they are though

Back
Top Bottom