Aquarium decorations....yea or nay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NODAK1979

Aquarium Advice Activist
What's your position on aquarium decorations?? This doesn't include natural additions such as driftwood. I'm talking about things that are manufactured to be decorations.

At first, we really wanted a lot of decorations. We were considering having 3 large ones in our 60 gallon. One on the left, one in the middle and one on the right. Since then though, I'm starting to realize that would have been a mistake.

We put a huge piece of Mopani driftwood in the center, and it's the best "decoration" you could ever put in an aquarium because it looks good and it's functional.

We took out one of our decorations already as to provide more swimming room.

And now, we may take out the decoration that I love, which is our big pirate ship...simply because I want to provide our discus more swimming room. So we may be decoration-less soon.

Do you have them??

I know a lot of people here are anti-decoration.

In my 55gal I have Easter Island statue replicas. A big, a medium, and 2 small. I've arranged them so that they're kind of leaning on each other. Also, they're in amongst plants, and they match the other rockwork I have in the tank.

So while I am anti-treasure chest and bubbling diver, I do like decorations that blend in and look like they belong.

I like natural looking decorations. Ones that look like tree roots or rock caves, etc. They also provide hiding places for fish, so I'm all for those kinds of decorations.
I would never put anything I consider "tacky" in my tanks though. I like to create a realistic environment. :) But if your fish need more swimming room I'd definitely remove the ship and add something else to a corner of the tank, that could be functional for the discus.

I'm a natural look (plants, wood, rocks) sort of guy myself, but it's entirely personal preference. Our Goldie wintering tank is purposefully "tacky" complete with bubbling treasure chest and we have moved all collected "ruins" into a cichlid grow out. The fish seem to like it just fine.

I like natural looking tanks. I don't put in bubblers, shipwreck ornaments, or any resin decor at all. Driftwood, rock, sand. I always make a point to hide my heater and filter inlet as well if possible. I don't criticize people for putting fake stuff in their tank, I just don't like it. I also hate the patterned backgrounds.

Some manufactured ones are nice. I have some roman stuff and a chinese lantern in two different tanks that came from chain stores. I'm wanting to switch them out for more realistic looking ceramic pieces. But, I prefer to get ceramics (like cups, bowls, plates) and break them up as decoration. My pearl fighter's tank has broken tea cups in it and one of my ten gallons has a bunch of broken up plates. All my bettas have at least a broken bowl or whatever as a cave. I think that looks interesting, but I'm an ex-potter, so I'm biased, I guess.

I think it just depends on the person. I use to use some decorations and I still do use some, bubblers alien skull and fake plants but I don't see why you should change your aquarium if you like it the way it is. But I am getting into the more natural look... Sand driftwood rocks ext. My fish don't seem to mind the alien skull and bubbler, they actually like them as rides and hiding places.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

I started with a lot of decorations, but I feel my tanks have become more for the fish than for me now (that's not a bad thing for me).

The only fake decoration I have now is a fake rock, and it fits perfectly around the filter intake and allows me to take photos in that area without an annoying unrealistic looking thing in the background... There are some realistic ones that I really like, but I've turned off to the fake looking ones.

They're not a bad thing though, IMHO, do whatever you want. If the fish don't like it, some will find a way to tell you...

I started with a lot of decorations...pirate ship, castle ruins, and treasure chest. I replaced those with 2 driftwoods and smooth rocks. I did keep my fake plants...at least until I feel like I am ready for real ones.

I started with a lot of decorations...pirate ship, castle ruins, and treasure chest. I replaced those with 2 driftwoods and smooth rocks. I did keep my fake plants...at least until I feel like I am ready for real ones.

I think my fake plants are staying forever. Plus, no snails can hitch a ride that way. :D

I have a set of Greek ruins in my 20g; one ruined building and two sets of columns. The ghost shrimp will at times use the building as a hiding place. That's all though; I didn't want to overdo it.

I only have natural items in my 10g though: two pieces of driftwood and a rock.

well, i do fake plants, granite rocks and black backrounds on my tanks... some decorations that look so crappy, yea, but natural looking ones are ok with me..

I got our tank for my kids with some ornamental seahorses, bubbly sea diver and fake plants. However now the novelty has worn off for them these things are gradually getting replaced for more natural looking items (some nice slate and piece of bog wood picked up from LFS). No real plants yet though but hope too in future.....one step at a time and all that ;0)

I would say put whatever you want in the tank as long as it all flows together and it's not over done. I do not however like the cheap backgrounds even though I have one on my small tank :)

IMO natural decorations like rocks, driftwood, and natural plants is better.

But having to boys at home, they really like fake ornaments, from sponge bob's house, to treasure chest, etc. and they love it,

my husband wouldn't let me buy the cutest little waving turtle the other day hehe I wouldn't have REALLY put it in our tank but it was cute and it's fun to mess with him. We do have a tacky, bubble blowing seahorse that we bought for our daughter's goldfish tank long ago but it's not going in the new tank either.

As many have said, so will I: I am a naturalist, but an aquarium is a biological canvas that is to be painted by the artists own personal tastes and pleasures. Was that too poetic?

Sent from my X10a using Aquarium

As long as it doesnt have any negative effects on my fish, and i like it, I will do the same. Just decorated mine with 100% fake plants and a fake log.

As long as it doesnt have any negative effects on my fish, and i like it, I will do the same. Just decorated mine with 100% fake plants and a fake log.

I'm definitely with you on the fake plants. **** real plants are way too fragile. I bought 4 of them and 2 were dead within a week. A third died later. The last one is dying as we speak.

They just need nutrients, that's all. Often if your aquarium has been setup for a long time they'll be able to survive off the nutrients in the substrate, but otherwise you'll need fertilizer. That can get expensive though and IMHO is the most costly part of freshwater tanks.

Back
Top Bottom