Aquarium Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hatterz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I'm gonna just get to the point here. Over the past month I would say I have slowly lost several fish. My tank is stocked with guppies, neon tetras, cories, 2 bolivian rams, and a highfin pleco. I have a 29g with a topfin30 and topfin 60 filter, standard heater keeps the temp 80-82, gravel substrate. I have lost probably now about half of my I would say 20 guppies, and all 4 cories. All deaths have come without sign of disease, or sign of anything to be honest. Basically I experience 1 death about every 2-3 days. At first it was just guppies, I've kept guppies for years and a couple died I didn't think much of it, but it kept happening, juveniles began to die, then the cories died off as well. All 10 tetra, both rams, and the pleco have not experienced deaths. Only the guppies and cories.

Unfortunately I think I may know the cause and now need advice. After cleaning one day I was trying to move the thermometer and holy crap I don't know my own strength. I squeezed the suction cup so hard I ended up shattering the glass somehow :banghead:. The little beady looking things and some glass fell down into the substrate. I immediately cleaned it out and watched for any suspect behavior but didnt notice anything strange. Now after all the deaths and noticing that the red fluid (is it still mercury?) in the thermometer in my SW tank I realized that it along with the glass in beads fell into the tank. I believe this is what is causing my deaths, but why does it seem to only be the cories and guppies? I have a picture of what has happened to the gravel where the glass and beads fell, not sure what to make of it. Please someone, anyone, have any advice on this?

Attachments

• IMG_2584.jpg
    IMG_2584.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 130
The red liquid would be alcohol, and the beads possibly lead or perhaps zinc. regardless, it is unlikely that that caused the deaths. Whenever I get any suspicious deaths, I do a water change of around 60%, or perhaps more. It is often difficult to determine specific disease in fish. By removing 60% of the water, you remove 69% of any water borne toxins of pathogens. Often this is enough to fix the situation. It is possible the corys had something or acquired something such as a virus that killed them. Some corys ( possibly most) don't like the warm temp you keep your tank at. guppies are not the hardy beasts they once were. Years of inbreeding have created a dish that isn't near as hardy as it's wild origins.
Others will ask about water parameters, but if you do a large water change, the parameters will be of less concern. What is your water change regimen?

I change 10gallons a week, including full gravel vacuum every other week. I use Prime treated tap water. My tap runs like 1ppm ammonia so I normally see about .5ppm after water changes but it is gone by the next day. Nitrites are always 0. Nitrates run me about 10-20 never higher.

I would step up the water changes to at least 25% per week, bigger would be even better. If fish have excellent water conditions they can fight many diseases themselves. If the water conditions deteriorate their immune systems become compromised and they become sick or die. If you think you have something in your water you can run carbon for a few days to remove it. But as prevoiusly mentioned a very large W/C is the first move.

I did do two 10g changes yesterday back to back, water condition are very important to me and I don't think they could be much better. I did actually add carbon after the first few deaths as well. I'm already doing 30% weekly. Like I said parameters are great, I'm just kinda stumped.

Tested water today. 0ppm, 0ppm, 5ppm. Stable 7.6 PH. Temp is always between 80-82. After the death of the last cory I did add some aquarium salt to maybe see if that would help, I'm clueless.

If anyone has any other ideas or thoughts please chime in.

Attachments

• image-1804673963.jpg
    image-1804673963.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 70
do not put salt in if you are keeping corrys.
none of your fish are brackish you dont need it.
I learned from experiance and some help
salt is murder on corrys

any discolorations, weird behavior, how long betwen deaths?

Nothing strange. Only the slight discoloration in the rocks where the thermometer broke. Normally 1 death per 2-3 days.

older thermometers are mercury, new ones now adays use alcohole as said earlyer.
possable filter damage chemical changes. research that.
change filter and water.

Maybe the fish ate
Some glass or the little metal balls from the thermometer? Dunno... Guess it's possible

Back
Top Bottom